19 - Staying in Bed Together

I hid behind the steam of the bathtub unwilling to leave the fog cover and see Eliad's face. I felt my fingers turning pruny as I sunk deeper into the warm rose-scented water. I blew small bubbles, watching them dance higher and higher before reaching the surface and popping. I tried to pass the time even though I knew he wouldn't leave until I was finished.

Twenty minutes passed, the water turned cold, permeating my skin and cooling my bones. I shivered and sneezed. Eliad looked on with concern and said troublingly, "Young Master, please leave the water. I'm afraid you might catch a cold."

"...no, I'm fine." I mumbled, curling into a tight ball under the water.

He frowned and sighed. "The countess wouldn't be pleased if you weren't able to attend your debut because of a simple cold."

I looked away and concealed a sneeze.

"Young Master, please, I implore you."

I sunk my head into the water, ignoring him entirely.

His voice sounded once more, but was muted by the water. I looked up, the scent-infused water biting my eyes, and saw a shadow draw closer to me. Two young yet rough hands disturbed the dull sloshing of water and grabbed my underarms tightly. I yelped but was vehemently dragged out of the water despite my vain struggle.

Waterdroplets trickled down my body, dripping off my feet like melted crystals. I felt his hands cutting into my underarms as I dangled powerlessly in the air. The damp and warm air made me shiver. My body was facing Eliad without any coverage. He looked at me, blank, before blushing furiously. "Y-Young Master, I will get the towel now."

He set me down and turned his face immediately, reaching for a hanging white towel.

"Please excuse me."

----

A year ago...

Luggages were strewn about the room, some of them closed and some of them open. Loose clothes piles decorated the floor like little pyramids. I grabbed the handle of the highest drawer, my arm stretching high. I grunted as I tried to reach inside it, but to no avail. Suddenly, an arm reached from behind me and pulled out the drawer completely, setting it down on the floor.

"Young Master." I glanced up and saw Eliad's standard professional expression.

I nodded curtly in response and fumbled through the drawer to find an item I buried in it a long time ago. He silently studied my peculiar behaviour, standing there with his hands balled into small fists.

A while passed, and he still hadn't left. I finally gave in and asked, "Eliad, do you need anything?"

My hands stilled and I looked up. The scene shocked me. His usual distant, calm expression was replaced with furrowed brows and pursed lips. I could see his eyes reddening and his jaws clenching frustratedly.

"Eliad...?" Why is he making that expression here? What's going on? He should only be showing this to... I stood up, gazing into his reddened eyes, urgently trying to make him somehow stop.

I grabbed his sleeve and pulled. Leaning towards him, I asked, "...what happened?"

His head slumped forward. He pressed his nose towards my neck and laid his forehead on my shoulder. His arms circled my waist, pulling me into a tight hug. My eyes widened, my breathing slowed as I stood there in shock.

This entire situation wasn't right. He should be resting his head on Aileen's shoulder, not mine. He should be talking with Aileen right now, not me. I started to become more restless. Why was he here with me? This wasn't right. I was just a background character. He's never supposed to be like this to anyone but Aileen, the female lead.

I impulsively tried to push him away after the thought, but it was futile. His clasp grew tighter as he noticed my struggle. I moved my face towards his ear and found it to be rosy red. My stomach dropped. "Eliad, what's going on-"

"Young Master, I won't let you leave me." His voice was deep as his whisper traveled down my back. My pupils shrunk. "You can't leave me, I'm coming with you... don't abandon me."

"Eliad, what's wrong with you? You can't be serious. Go back to how you were..." I struggled harder, using all my might to break free. My pale expression was easily seen as I backed away from his looming figure.

What is he doing? I shouldn't be hearing this right now... I can't let another capture target go astray, this can't happen another time...

"Young Master-" He stretched his hand out and reached towards me.

My back was pressed against the wall, stopping me from retreating. "Don't you like Aileen?! Go to her room, why are you speaking to me like this? It's weird, stop now!" I yelled.

"I don't need to hear you speak, leave me alone!"

"Remis!" He bellowed. The room fell silent.

What...

His eyes widened with equal shock as he realized what he just said. His outstretched hands flinched back and returned to his side. He bit his lip. His face contorted and he looked down.

"...I'm sorry. That was rude... Please excuse me." He walked away. I caught a tiny droplet falling from his eyes.

Perhaps I was caught up in the moment. Or maybe it was because I knew of his history that I couldn't stand the sight of him like this. I ran forward mindlessly, embracing him from behind and felt the wrinkled black suit on my cheek. "Eliad. I'm sorry..."

He remained silent. Only the heavy sound of his heartbeat told me of his feelings.

I sighed and tugged on the buttons of his coat, stopping his movements. "...stay here for the night, maybe that will make you feel better..."

I grabbed his hand, feeling the rough calluses from his work around the manor, and dragged him onto my bed. I waved my hand, extinguishing the lights around the room, and tucked him under the blanket. His body, only slightly larger in build than mine, was hugged tightly by me. I pressed his forehead to my chest, whispering, "Don't worry, tonight, I won't leave. So don't cry."