9 - Oberon, the Head Mage

(A/N: Thanks to a certain reader, @sluttymargaret, you guys get the chapter around 20 days earlier! Thank them for their selflessness, because without their message my laziness would have prevailed!)

He leaned my head against the backboard of the bed and pushed his nose into my forehead. "Young Master... please don't try to test my patience."

"I was so worried... that you had left. That you had finally left me."

He soon fell silent. The only sound left in the room was the sound of rain pattering on the veranda's stone floor.

As the silence continued, I could feel my tolerance drop to the ground. No. Huh?! NO! I would rather have him reprimand me and report me to my parents than have him say this! This action, these words, his expression... they were akin to Eliad in the otome game talking to Aileen.

I was shocked. Mortified, one might say. It was exceedingly difficult for me to control myself from slapping him in the face and indignantly shrieking like a pigeon on its lunch break.

This was dangerous. The otome game clearly said that Remis had died. He had disappeared from the story long ago. I needed to disappear, or else plot correction might come. And how would that be possible if some capture target—one that lives in the same house that I do—becomes more interested in me than he does in the actual HEROINE?

My head turned blank. The past few days, my thoughts were almost completely preoccupied with trying to prevent revealing my early awakening, attempting to stop two crazy capture targets from getting nearer, and trying to get some good night sleep without that big-cocked Cyrus from trying anything that my brain's circuit had long since been fried. So, as someone with their head blank did, I thought of perhaps the worst idea to do: pretend to fall asleep due to excess weariness.

Actually, perhaps it wasn't the worst idea, because by doing so I was able to avoid the "talk" with my mother about what really happened during that day. I was also able to simultaneously avoid whatever shit Eliad was doing at the moment. What's more, it wasn't completely unrealistic of me to fall asleep, since we had stayed in this questionable position on the bed for more than ten minutes.

I dropped dead silent and began to take even, deep breaths with my eyes gently closed.

"Young Master?" Eliad inquired tenderly. Too tender for my liking. His hot, humid breath brushed against my supple nape. I twitched. My darkened vision made me especially sensitive to contact.

Soon, he withdrew, ever so slowly, as if he was reluctant to leave our closeness. I could feel something caressing my cheek. It was so gentle, as if it was touching a treasure. No, he's not touching a treasure. I never thought that, nope, that's not right. Slowly, the touch withdrew. I let out a breath I didn't know I held and rejoiced my successful plan for avoidance.

But then something wet and soft grazed my cheek. It lingered, longer and longer, until I could feel a breath of air tickle my eyelashes as it finally pulled away.

...

Eh?

Ehh?

Unconsciously, I opened my eyes and looked around. My flustered shifting had gone completely unnoticed by Eliad, who was focused on untying the knot to let down the soft velvet curtains.

Huh?

Eliad quickly covered his lips with both of his big hands and skittered away like an infatuated maiden who confessed to her long-term crush.

What just happened?

----

The pouring rain had stopped and soon, morning came.