65 - Do You Like Me?

(Sorry for the short chapter... and for not updating for four weeks... and everything... I have writer's block and don't know what to do... help...)

That evening...

Reask sighed as he stood in front of the dorm door. The familiar magical lock appeared on the surface of the dark wood, its rune dimly lighting the hallway. He gulped, slowly pressing his palm to the wood and unlocking the lock. Slowly creaking the door open, he creeped into the room. The bright moonlight shined in from the floor-to-ceiling windows of the living room.

I don't want to see him after THAT... Reask thought. A slow shiver ran down his spine and his face quickly flushed beet red when his mind jumped back to that trepidating moment. Turning his head from side to side, he breathed a shallow, intelligible sigh of relief.

The floorboards creaked under his feet as he slowly inched past Remis' open bedroom door towards his room. The black-haired youth's bedroom was dark, only dimly lit by the slivers of moonlight dancing in through the window. Reask felt his body tense up as he saw the lump underneath the bed. He's here. Asleep, though. Yes, asleep. Reask let his mind wander. He thought of the peaceful face the elegant youth would make as he slept. As the romantic night stars gently illuminated his figure, the light and lulling sound of tender breath placidly filled the room. Eyes closed, the youth's peaceful face would be engulfed in a tranquil halo of moonlight. A small smile dancing on his face as he dreamt.

A subconscious smile appeared on Reask's face, his expression relaxing and his eyes curving into helpless yet infatuated crescents. I'll run out of the dorm as soon as I wake up. I'll be quick and avoid him for a month... then, afterward, everything will be as normal as-

"Hello, Knight Reask." A voice rang out from behind him.

Reask's heart jumped into his throat and he jumped forward, jerking his head back with a chilling, startled expression. "What the—!" He yelled. His arm quickly jumped to his waist as he habitually reached for his sheath. His jumping heart only pounded harder when he saw Remis watching him with a slightly sly, indiscernible expression on his face.

"It's fire magic," Remis smiled knowingly, watching the flustered scene in front of him. He snidely added, "the people of this world never think to expand their minds beyond the obvious. They don't think of fire as a type of energy, thus limiting themselves to the tangible qualities of life."

'The people of this world?' Reask thought with confusion. Remis blew over it and continued. His smile stretched further. "So tell me, how long will you avoid me? A day? A week? Maybe a month?" Remis said, his eyes narrowing. He moved forward, one step at a time, slowly overwhelming the red-haired knight. His small figure, which was almost a head shorter than him, seemed to loom over him like an unbreachable wall. Reask gulped and shirked back, but the more he retreated, the more Remis advanced, until the knight that was built like a greek god was pinned to the floor-to-ceiling windows on the far side of the living room.

"M-my lord...?" Reask mumbled, his eyes carefully tracing Remis' delicate features as the black-haired youth's face moved closer and closer until their breaths intertwined. Reask's breathing grew faster as his blood rushed to his head.

"Back to the 'my lord' title?" Remis quizzed. Reask's mind spinned. The words passed right through his mind when Reask's eyes ultimately found themselves fixated on the plump, pink lips a few breaths in front of him.

"I..." Reask muttered intelligibly as he gulped, biting the inside of his cheek as he struggled to suppress the desire to move just a bit forward and feel those effortlessly soft lips press against his own. "Y-yes..."

"Yes?" Remis laughed. A few seconds of silence ensued. Neither Remis or Reask uttered a word. The dim moonlight fell on the intimate scene, creating a picturesque, lilting picture. Then, as if a stone was dropped into a perfectly still pond, Remis sighed and stood up.

"Then forget it." He said, turning away and holding his head in his hand. Reask's spinning mind slowly settled as Remis retreated. "I don't know what I was thinking. Let's just pretend like nothing-"

At that moment, not confusion, but an unquenchable desire filled Reask's mind. He jumped to his feet and grabbed Remis' thin wrist. Remis yelped in surprise, losing his balance and stumbling back into the arms of the desperate knight. "W-wait, I..." Reask exclaimed. His breath stilled as his heart pounded out of his chest. "I-I'll do what you want, so... don't pretend like nothing happened."

His hold on the thin, porcelain wrist unconsciously tightened. He clenched his jaw, his attention wholly concentrated on the youth in his arms. The warmth that pervaded through his thin clothes, his hair brushing ever-so-slightly against Reask's neck. His breathing quickened as he dared to lean closer, dipping his head down and moving his mouth to Remis' delicate nape. The skin seemed to glow under the luminescence as if beckoning anyone who saw it closer, inviting them for a taste.

Remis remained motionless. Then, almost subconsciously, he whispered, "Lucius confessed to me." It was just loud enough for Reask to hear. "The crown prince, who I considered a friend for a long time."

Remis laughed. It was a hollow laugh, with a tinge of weariness from the late night. "So I was just wondering..." Remis murmured, so low it was like he was talking to himself. In the spur of a moment, he unthinkingly added, "do you like me too?"

Reask froze.