47 - Yandere and Tsundere

(A/N: It's a short, fast paced chapter. My apologies, I had some 'love troubles'. I'll make up for it, a double release next week, and I'll edit this later.)

Cyrus shifted closer, his face almost forced into a habitual smile. His eyes momentarily flitted between the prince and I, the silence of the room deafening. I gulped, instinctively moving to wedge the prince behind me as some sort of defensive reflex. The tension in the room grew thicker as soon as I shifted, but I didn't notice, just trying to think of ways to diffuse the situation.

However, the next words that came out of my mouth had the opposite effect I wanted, it seemed.

"Cyrus, it's fine. This is just between Lucius and I. You can leave."

The yandere's face quickly turned downcast, his eyes slowly moved towards the prince hidden behind me. His jaw clenched as my words entered his ears.

"Oh, is that so. 'Lucius' and I... hm." As if forcing the sound through his lips, Cyrus uttered the sentence with a gloom quickly shrouding around him. The prince had struggled to suppress his budding smile, his ears turning back to a shade of red and his eyes lighting up in triumph. His gaze was fixed onto my back which was pressed close to him protectively, gleaming with a happiness that couldn't be contained. Cyrus was further pushed into a silent rage seeing the prince's reaction. Meanwhile, I was unaware, just nodding along, feeding more wood into the fire.

"And, you said... it was 'just between' the two of you?" Cyrus' eyebrow twitched and the hands at his sides clenched, his nails digging into the palm of his hand. His angelic demeanor hadn't faltered, but it seemed like a switch had flipped. His eyes were ultimately fixed back on Lucius, his pupils glowing dangerously. Lucius ignored him completely, his mind preoccupied.

"Of course." I reassured Cyrus, scared that he would try to butt his way further into what happened. "Don't worry, then. You can leave."

Cyrus' curled fists turned white from the pressure. His eyes turned dark as an abyss, but his mouth was sealed shut. He was afraid he would scare his childhood friend away by revealing his naked, true thoughts. While his heart burned over with rage, he retained his frivolous expression. He breathed in a shallow, shaky breath, suppressing the possessiveness and jealousy that was boiling over. Finally, Cyrus' mouth was able to stretch into a smooth, normal smile.

Cyrus let out an airy chuckle. "Then I'll leave, Remi... tell me when you're done, though." His lighthearted gaze moved to Lucius and almost instantly turned to stone. "Because I need to have a word with the prince, okay~?" With that, he trudged out of the room with his heavy steps masked by his light demeanor. The door creaked shut behind him.

----

I breathed a last sigh of relief as soon as I heard that door click. I rubbed my forehead tiredly, thinking, thank god, I really did dodge a bullet. Then my relief quickly morphed back into absolute annoyance as I remembered that a docile prince which crawled into my bed earlier was still sitting behind me. Now to deal with this part of the bullshit, I guess.

I grabbed the blanket and swung my head to the side to face Lucius. "Now, let's get back to our conversation, shall we?" My reluctance was easily seen. It was too early in the morning to face the stupidity of the capture targets. Inwardly, my resolve for my mission grew. I vowed to get them to fall in love with Aileen today. I chuckled madly inside. Starting with this bed-taking prince.

"Y-yes!" The prince snapped out of his happy daze and took a while to respond. His eyes, still cast with a haze of contentment, mocked me. "Let's do it!"

A vein pulsed on my forehead, and the forced smile on my face twitched. Why does he sound so eager? I thought. A masochist that likes the shame of being caught in another's bed, most likely. At this point, I had dealt with too many strange things to be fazed by such a thought. I didn't even stop to assess how strange my thought process had become. Without venturing further into my mind, I just continued.

"You said you don't remember crawling into my bed. Sure, I guess I'll believe you." I barked out a laugh.

"Good! That's good then!" The prince hmphed indignantly. My eyelid twitched.

"But, Prince, that really isn't a good sleeping habit, you know." I faked concern, my eyes furrowing with worry. "It really isn't befitting of someone with royal status."

I nodded with my eyes filled with upright goodness. "Thus, I believe your highness should take a room on the far side of our humble manor." My eyes gleamed with a patriotic shine as I lifted my pointer finger up knowingly. "Yes, that's right. On the far, far side. To prevent such a shameful event from recurring."

His eyes turned blank. "Wh-what do you mean, I-I-" He stuttered, struggling to find words to refute.

I quickly interrupted, preventing him from finishing his sentence. "Of course, this is only coming from me, a humble aide looking out for his master." I sighed and cradled my head in my hand, gradually edging closer to him and pushing him off the corner of my bed. The sheets shifted as I moved, the silk slipping down.

Lucius gulped helplessly, his eyes darting around the room in search of a reason to stay. He clutched the canopy of the bed, unwilling to leave. His pride and embarrassment prevented him from refusing outright, so he could only push my back and say, "W-we'll discuss this in more detail later!" before scurrying off and slamming the door behind him.

----

I slumped back onto my messy bed, staring at the canopy of curtains above me. The midnight blue fabric lulled me into a state of complacency, and I began to think back to what happened before.

Cyrus had always been quite finicky about things involving me since childhood. I remembered when I was twelve or so and had gotten close to another son of a count on the far west coast of Vires. After a few months of communications, Cyrus seemed to get quite suspicious of the horsemen coming quickly through the mansion as he arrived. It was good that Nore was a snow owl instead of a horse, or else I'm afraid I would have been long since discovered.

As I was receiving the new mail from that son, I remembered clearly that Cyrus had entered the manor with swift footsteps, his eyes fixed onto the piece of paper like hawk eyeing prey. His mouth stretched into a menacing smile, one that was far worse than his usually angelic plastered smile. At that time, I was oblivious to what would happen to that poor boy.

Cyrus stood behind me with a good-natured disposition, his eyes harmlessly scanning over the note, word after word. As he read to the end of the letter, his smile grew wider. I didn't really know what happened after that. When I asked, Cyrus shaked his head and hugged me, repeating his jubilant praises of me over and over again until I gave up and lost interest.

I never heard from that noble's son after that incident, but I wasn't dense. In the otome, Cyrus was shown as a yandere. While I didn't know or understand what he might have done, I was sure I didn't want it to happen again. It was good that Cyrus stepped back so easily this time.