52 - Long Awaited Encounter

Theodore grabbed Cyrus' collar, his eyes no longer containing the same innocence as he had with Remis. He laughed incredulously, his fingers growing tighter around the white fabric of Cyrus' shirt.

"You have the nerve to say that," Theodore spat, his eyes blazing, "when we both know that I have more of a chance of him than you will ever."

Cyrus gritted his teeth, his muscles tensing as the words entered his ears. He grabbed Theodore's wrist, slowly gripping harder and harder until a bruise began to form. He didn't think that Theodore would provoke him so plainly in front of Remis. Originally, he had restrained himself in fear of breaking Remis' fragile image of him. But now, he couldn't contain his ire.

He laughed in response, his face covered in goodwill, until he drew close and muttered into Theodore's ear. "Do you really think someone who fooled Remi and got caught would ever be allowed to touch him? Dream on." His voice was dripping with indignation.

"He said it himself. The Audovár dukedom... is not something Remis will ever want to touch."

Theodore bit the inside of his lip. He felt like his chest was hit by a rock, the air sucked out of his lungs. Cyrus moved back and resumed his angelic, innocent façade, as if the piercing words had never escaped his lips.

"You—!" He seethed, his eyes blazing. He drew back his fist. The magic in his body ran rampant, and thick strands of mana encircled his clenched hand. Cyrus' eyes shot to his fist. He curled his lip and grappled his own mana, stretching it into his hands and feet.

"Both of you are acting so weird." Remis, who was simply watching the display of aggression, finally spoke up, his brows raised. He narrowed his eyes, his gaze turning to Theodore. "Zier, were you planning to–"

"What do you mean, Rem?" Theodore interrupted, a confused, innocuous expression dancing on his face. His chagrin seemed to evaporate as soon as he heard the familiar name of 'Zier'. His heart fluttered at the thought that Remis may have forgiven him, the fact that he could be starting to view him as before, a confidant and close friend. Maybe then... would he have more of a chance?

Remis eyed them both with suspicion. He sighed, shaking his head and waving his hand dismissively. "Well, then, drop it. I'm going out soon, so both of you, get out." He ordered lackadaisically, ambling to the bathroom with slow steps.

Cyrus followed behind him, as if it was natural, his heart still boiling. Remis stopped, turned around, and sent a harsh glare at him before making a motion. "The bathroom is mine, not yours. Get out!" He exclaimed. He walked both of them to the door with a dark, insanely tired frown.

"But, Remi—" Cyrus started, but was quickly stopped by the slamming of the door. A few seconds passed with both of them staring blankly at the closed entrance. Then, the door creaked open and an eye peered out from the small crack.

"Oh, and... thanks, Zier. For the flowers. I liked it while it lasted, I guess." The door slammed again.

Theodore's face slowly grew hot, flushing bright red. His lips pursed into fine lines, crawling up into a smile.

Cyrus gritted his teeth.

----

My eyes moved to the clock hung on the wall above the corridor. It read half past 8. I rubbed the inner corners of my eyes and stumbled out of the couch, my black hair hanging gloomily in my face. In ten minutes, I would have to leave the comfort of the room and go into the first S-grade class. I slumped down, grabbing the bag leaning on one of the corners of the living room, and plodded out the dormitory, my feet dragging lousily behind me.

I arrived at the Erte, the largest building on the far west side of campus. It loomed over me, the shining antique windows casting a particularly classical atmosphere on the gardens around it. I breathed out a deep sigh and reluctantly made my way up the stairs, climbing step-by-step until I reached the sixth floor. There was a magic-powered elevator contraption on the other end of the hall. S-class students were allowed to use it, because their classes were always at the topmost floor of each building. However, that was the very reason why I had chosen to use the stairs. The burning in my legs was nothing compared to a minute of dealing with more than one capture target at a time.