34 - You're Mine

I stood in front of an opulent summons room in the palace, my face frozen with terror..

Summons from the King. I thought. The King, the King! What did I do?

I wanted to cry. I was reincarnated into this world, and the immediate primary objective I gave myself was to be a background character! No interactions with the capture targets, no affiliation with any sort of big figure, and no effect on the plotline! That was what I determined!

And yet, just last night, I realized I had become friends with capture target no. 4 unknowingly. And now, today, I'm going to meet with the biggest figure in the kingdom, the King of Vires...

I eventually brought myself to knock on the wooden door with a downtrodden expression. My mind wandered off as I waited. Maybe I'm a bit more dense than I thought... to be tricked so easily by a simple alias, now I'm going to have to deal with the puppy-boy ikemen, a duke's son, a trickster... what have I done to deserve this...

The doors swung open, with two servants holding it open with a servile expression. "Please come in, Young Lord."

I nodded hesitantly and walked in with heavy steps. My sight immediately set on the center of the room.

"Your Royal Highness," I spoke as I kept my head down and my eyes focused on the royal red carpet beneath me.

"Lift your head." The King ordered. His voice was soft and fond, yet somehow, the voice gave me even more chills. It's like he's talking to a future in-law... I shivered and promptly threw the chilling thought out of my head.

"You may be wondering why I called you in here today." He gestured for me to come closer. I shuffled forward and nodded my head.

His smile grew wider after seeing my obedience. I could see the slight appeasement in his eyes, like he was relieved that I was this way. I didn't like that look in his eyes. It seemed like a foreshadowing to something horrible. I gulped with trepidation and simply stood there, choosing not to reply.

"Congratulations. You have been chosen as the Head Aide for the crown prince!" He clapped his hands and laughed cheerily.

My eyes almost dropped out of its sockets.

"At first, I was a bit doubtful about the madam's choice. However, I heard about your responsible and considerate way of dealing with the, ahem... crying crown prince that day, in the archives." He looked away and covered his face in embarrassment. "Hahhh... I'm glad my son will have an aide like you in the future. Please take care of him for me, will you?"

I stood in front of the chortling king, in a daze, wanting to drop to my knees in despair. My eyes glazed over as I tried to cope.

So, you're telling me...

That the reason I've been elected for the position I've been persistently trying to avoid...

Is all because I was stood up by that lying capture target?!

----

I stood in the center of the bathroom, my hand wedged inside my clothes and my pants put down, in a mindless daze. The hazy steam of the hot bathwater created a dreamy, untouchable atmosphere.

Three knocks sounded from the doorway on the other side of the guest room. I turned my gaze blankly to the hallway.

Someone's coming... I thought, pulling up my pants and mechanically moving one foot in front of the other to the door.

Another two knocks sounded. I could hear the person outside getting impatient. I grabbed the door handle subconsciously and swung it open.

Just before the door opened fully, I saw a familiar tuft of blonde hair stick out from behind the wooden entryway. I slammed the door as quickly as a running fawn fled.