44 - Field of Jealousy

(A/N: There will be a time skip soon.)

I sighed and hit my forehead on the table, causing the small pot of ink to jostle alongside the scattered papers.

"I can't stop thinking about it..." The scene of Lucius kissing me replayed in my mind, and my face instantly turned beet red. I groaned, my words muffled from my mouth pressed onto the table. "Jesus Christ..." Raising my head, I propped my chin on the papers and stared absently at the sky through the window above me, my gaze growing distant as I drifted off.

A knock echoed, followed by the creak of the door swinging open. My eyes snapped open, and I hastily jumped from my slouched posture. An unfamiliar blonde woman entered my room, fixing her eyes on my dazed figure. Her unique disposition and familiar color of hair, along with the ornately decorated dress trailing in her wake, was well-known and spoken by nobility. I swallowed hard, my back stiffening. The princess... I thought.

The princess's bright eyes jumped back and forth, surveying me. Her smirk grew wider. "You really are adorable." She muttered, nodding in approval. "No wonder you're my brother's fiancé."

I choked on my words, my response caught in my throat. "Cough, cough... excuse me?"

My mind raced as I tried to think of how she came to that conclusion. She walked toward the couch opposite the bed and sank into the soft cushions with a nonchalant expression, prodding the pillow next to her. "This room is for foreign royalty or unwed fiancés. So I just assumed that my brother was planning to–"

I forced out a nervous laugh and cut her off. "N-no, Princess, I think you're being misled. This is just a temporary arrangement, the prince said that it's simply because it's most convenient for him, that's all." I stammered. She stared at me silently, neither acknowledging nor rebutting my comment. I felt a sheen of cold sweat start to form on my forehead.

"Lucius said that, hm." She drawled. The urge to step back surged within me, but fear rooted me in place. "Well, if that's what you think, then so be it." Reaching out, she gently lifted my chin, forcing me to meet her gaze. I suddenly realized where the prince's sudden daringness yesterday came from.

She chuckled softly, her eyes inexplicably sliding to the closed corridor. "Well, I best get going. It turns out I'm not the only uninvited guest now, and I wouldn't want to ruin the scene by being here."

I grew anxious at her words, subconsciously getting a bad premonition. "Uninvited guest...?"

She laughed and walked towards the corridor. Then, as soon as she reached for the handle, the door swung open, revealing three men standing outside. I choked.

"Oh, my. Excuse me." She chuckled, unfazed, before pushing them aside. Her shadow disappeared behind the sparkling, eye-catching men as quickly as she came, and I was left standing in the middle of the room, frozen in disbelief and denial.

Cyrus was the first to step into the room, wearing a familiar angelic smile as he approached. "Remi... I've finally found you," he chimed, his friendly demeanor sending an unsettling shiver down my spine. He grabbed my shoulders and smiled, his gaze dark. "I was so worried, not knowing where you'd gone for so long. Why didn't you tell me?" He stepped closer, his face growing oddly close to mine. Theodore glowered at his gesture and strode closer, pulling him back and pushing his head away. Damn, he's here too. I thought, feeling a vein pop in annoyance. That lying puppy boy.

"Rem... why have you been ignoring me...? I–" Theodore approached, attempting to grab my arm, but I avoided his hold, taking a step back with guarded eyes. His hand was left dangling in the air, but his hurt expression remained unnoticed by me as I shifted my gaze to the doorway. Meanwhile, the prince stood there with a dissatisfied scowl as he watched the two men approach me, his eyes staring daggers through their backs.