Chapter 22

I walked back into the room, my eyes heavy with sadness. Seth and Decker were both naked and awake, their bodies tangled together in the sheets. However, I couldn't even enjoy the image in front of me or reminisce on last night's festivities due to the conversation I just had with my mother.

"Hey, Baby," Seth said, his voice filled with warmth. "What's wrong?"

I crawled back into bed, and my body curled up against theirs. "I just...I can't stop thinking about tonight," I said, my voice filled with emotion. "I know it's going to be awful."

Decker rubbed my back soothingly. "What's going on, Love?"

"I just got off the phone with my mom," I said, my voice shaking slightly. "She was watching TV and saw that I was at the fashion event with you, Seth. Apparently, it was all over the latest gossip on TV and tabloids with the title, 'Famous Designer Oliver Scott's New Girl? Or Wannabe?'"

"I'm sorry, I didn't think they would post about it," Seth said. "Usually, I'm someone paparazzi doesn't even care to look at. I guess sometimes when I'm happy and living life with people I care about, I forget I come with fame."

"It's not your fault," I said. "But she had no idea what was going on, and on top of that, she noticed that the event was in Italy."

Decker frowned, clearly sensing where this was going. "And?"

I took a deep breath, my eyes filled with tears. "And she went off on me," I said. "She was cursing and screaming, saying that everything I do is wrong. She doesn't approve of my lifestyle being a baker and writer. She hates it and finds it not something she can brag about, so she thinks it's stupid and a waste of time, and not a professional career."

Seth's expression was one of concern. "What did she say, exactly?"

"My mother said that I had no right to run off to Italy without considering how it would affect the family, especially since my brother Eli is an NBA star and it could reflect poorly on us," I said, my voice shaking with emotion. "She also said that I'm always living in a fantasy and that I'll never grow up if I keep up with these charades. And she demanded I bring you over since I got so close and comfy with you so she can investigate what the hell I am doing but then Bria chimed in as I am about to hang up."

"What did Bria say?" Decker asked, caressing my face.

"She said that Mom doesn't have to worry because a man of Seth's caliber will never be caught dead next to me," I said, my eyes filling with anger. "She said that I was trying to act like one of the girls who could chase clout and famous guys, but I'm not built that way, and I will never be able to sustain that agenda. Everyone knows I am not that type of girl, and I was never made to be that type of girl. She said the dinner tonight is a waste of time."

Decker's eyes narrowed as he heard my story. "Your mother is just trying to control you," he said. "She doesn't want you to be happy, because that means you're not under her thumb anymore. And your sister...she's just a petty little bitch who can't stand to see anyone else happy. I would know I met her for two seconds and it was a horrible encounter."

Seth's expression darkened as he heard what I had just told them. "That's ridiculous," he said. "You're a beautiful, confident woman, and anyone would be lucky to be with you. Your mother is delusional and your sister is just jealous. She's jealous of your success, jealous of your relationship with us...just plain jealous. But you don't have to listen to them, Beth. You're your own person, and you can make your own decisions."

"And love, you are beyond our caliber or anyone's. Heck, look at you. Who wouldn't want to be around you all the time or have the privilege to lay next to you in bed? I mean, look at you, you're sexy as fuck. No one could get enough, not even us. Heck, any man would want to, but fuck that, because you are ours and we're the only ones who will ever have the opportunity. And that's how it will stay," Decker says.