chapter 24

Ismahan

I'm seated in religious studies class. Islamic classes for another way of saying it and all my lovely friends are here today. Although we are all scattered around, we manage to send of some playful signs to each other. We always manage to try to make class fun.

Hamza was seated infront of me with Nur next to him. Apparently Hannah and Aisha were scattered together on the other side of the classroom. Israh and Nuhaa were seated right at the front together and Ibrahim seated infront of the two boys.

My eyes lands on Hamza as he turns to face the back. His eyes lands on mine looking at me. My weakness. Eye contact. I'm sure I'm keeping eye contact for a few seconds before I look away.

I hear him let out a soft chuckle avoiding to get in trouble by Mr Galant, our religious class teacher. Then I turn to look at him again and he gives me a gentle smile before turning back to the front.

"Students," My head and Hamza's head pops up, as well Ibrahim and Nuhaa's. Nuhaa was almost finishing her hifths course.

"Who would like to read Surah Mulk for us?" Mr Galant asks this with a smile. He always does this, every few days. My hand immediately raises and well as Hamza's.

"Well, seems like we have two volunteers." My hand is now down as Hamza look at me with a teasing smile. I had told him I love Surah Mulk and still purposely raised his hand. Though I don't mind. I like his recitation voice.

"Okay Ismahan, you can read the first two pages and then Hamza's can finish off." Mr Galant nods his head at me. Like that Hamza turns to face me and nods his head with a smile. My eyes reaches his and I immediately smile shyly.

I take a deep breath. Closing my eyes.

Everyone is silent, and i start.

"Where's Isma?" Hamza's first words when
he makes his way towards his friends who are
seated in the cafeteria. He's looking for her. Like he always does whenever she isn't around.

"She left to the bathroom." Israh responds to me as she takes a sip from her drink. Nuhaa and Ibrahim are seated together smiling at each other
night time.

Hamza awaits for a few seconds.

"She has been gone for long right now though-"

And his off.

I'm looking through the mirror of the school bathroom. My hands are shaking really badly and I can't seem to control it. I press my hands into tight fists then let go and repeat.

My lips leaves a heavy sigh.

My bag is laying lifeless on the counter top. I reached out for my medication holding them in my hand. My bag slings over my shoulder as I exit.

"Are you okay?" I shriek at the sudden voice. My head looks in the direction and Hamza is standing a few feet away from me. He's holding a bottle in his hand, looking at me with concern.

"Oh my!" My hand is placed on my chest as I catch for air. My hand grips onto my medication tightly. "Don't do that! You scared me." I say desperately, probably looking like I'm about to cry.

"Maalf maalf. I was worried. They said you left to
the bathroom and you were here a while." He says stepping forward to me. I make my way to him too, understanding that his concerned for me.

"Maalf too. I didn't mean to worry you." I say softly. He's now standing right infront of me. His concern disappears and his lips curves into a smile.

"Are you okay?" His eyes glances to my hand that is gripping my medication. "Are you going to take them?" He asks, now looking me. I nod my head.

"What's wrong? Are you not feeling well?"

"It's just my hands. They shaking really badly." He's again concerned. "Let me see." He says gently. "Let me hold them." He says nodding towards my medication. He's willingly asking and it makes me feel  confronted. I give him my medication and he takes them his hand.

I hold out both my hands and they're shaking
badly. They have gotten pretty much reddish too.
He looks at my hands then back to me.

"Which ones do you take for them?" He says opening my medication bag. It's a small little bag that holds some of my medication or any necessary things for emergency. "The white round pill." I say softly.

"How much?" He takes them out. "Only one. And then a green one too. The painkiller." I say. "Are you in pain?" He looks at me confused. I shake my head laughing softly. "Just a normal headache."

He then takes them out then closes my small, little bag, then proceeds to open the bottle and hold it out for me as well as the pills. My smile brightens at the gesture and I take them swallowing my pills with the bottle water he gave me.

"Shukran." I say softly after taking a few more sips
of water. He's looking down at me. I am so tiny. Like why? Why is he so tall?

"Afwan. You know what I realized right now." He looks at me, a teasing smile lifting from his lips and I'm pretty sure I'm not prepared for whatever he's about to say to me right now.

"You're so tiny."

"I'm not!" I immediately defend.

"You are! Like very tiny!" He defends too, matching my level. My bottom lip is pushed out into a pout without realizing until he laughs.

"Oh my! So adorable." He says laughing.

I'm looking at him playfully mad.

"Okay okay!" He continues to laugh.

I give him back the bottle and he takes it with a smile.

"I'll hold your cute, little bag. Let's go."

I nod at him smiling widely.

~R