58 ¦ The Truth

I leaned against the wall, as Elea had just done, and looked at Jay expectantly. "So?" He smiled weakly and scratched the back of his neck. "I owe you an apology." He finally began. I crossed my arms in front of my chest "You already did. And I said I don't care if you apologize or not."

"I know, but I didn't tell you everything." He took a breath. "Oh there's something else I should know? If you're just going to keep harping on my feelings, then don't. If it satisfies you that I've been devastated and my confidence trampled on, then I can relieve you."

He shook his head and raised a hand. "No. That's just what I don't want." He thought for a moment how to continue "There is something that happened after our argument at your home. Between Heeseung and me." I saw guilt and remorse on his face, which is why I brightened up a bit.

"After you told me that you didn't love me and that you chose Heeseung.... I was just so angry. I wanted to throw something against the wall. I didn't want you to get away with it. I knew I had made mistakes too, but still I was deeply hurt. And because I couldn't have you, I didn't want Heeseung to have you either."

"I'm not a possession." I hissed between them and Jay nodded. "No, of course you're not. But I just couldn't stand that he should be happy. When I left your house, I think he was coming over to see you. When he saw me, he immediately had a cold expression on his face, it was like he was trying to hide the pain in his eyes. It was like he was hurt."

He let out a bitter laugh. "I took advantage of the situation. I told him we talked about your kiss and I forgave you. I didn't outright say we were back together, but it was enough to make him think that. He still wanted to come in and talk to you, so I resorted to another means. First, I claimed that you asked me to tell you that you didn't want anything to do with him anymore. That he's not your type and you were just using him to get to me because that was the deal you made in the beginning right?" I looked to the side, embarrassed.

He lifted his shoulders and continued. "Well, anyway, he still wanted to talk to you about it afterwards, he seemed really upset. I've never seen Heeseung so upset. Finally I resorted to the contingency plan, I took advantage of his weakness. I said he wasn't good enough for you. He would only hurt you and you deserved better."

"How did that make you exploit his weakness? His weakness?" "Well, by dragging you in further." He tilted his head "He really likes you, he's in love with you. I knew that, I knew it all along, and you were more important to him than he was. For him it seemed the right thing to do to stay away from you, because he thought it was the best thing for you."

Speechless, I stared at him. I wondered if it really was as Jay claimed. "Well, anyway-," he resumed. "All I'm trying to say is that this whole thing is my fault and I'm sorry. I know you really do care about Heeseung, and I'm sure it's the same the other way around."

I slumped my shoulders and sighed softly. "I'm glad you told me, but it doesn't change anything now." "Yes, it does. You have to give him another chance!" "He won't even talk to me."

Jay looked almost as dejected as I felt, but then I saw a taller figure come up behind him and it seemed like the air around me changed instantly.

"And what if I'm here to talk to you after all?"

A/N: since u all love the cliff hangers-