41 ¦ Third Wheeling

Everything went according to plan. On Saturday, Heeseung and I said goodbye at about five to six. Heeseung had even remembered to put on something date-worthy, which I honestly hadn't counted on.

As we got into his car, which he now only parks outside and not in the garage, I saw my mom and Hana standing at the window looking at us. Heeseung, who had opened the car door for me in a gentlemanly manner, leaned into the inside of the car and smiled at me, his eyes sparkling with mischievousness. "We're being watched." He murmured conspiratorially. "I know." "Don't you think we should give them a good show?" I stared at him. "Seriously Heeseung?" His grin got much wider and he lifted his shoulders indifferently. "Just an idea."

He took a step back, closed the passenger door, and came around the car. Noisily he slumped into the driver's seat and started en engine. As he backed out of the driveway, I restlessly kneaded the heels of my hands, although there was no real tension between us I felt nervous.

"You look pretty tonight.", Heeseung said in passing and with a casual tone. It sounded like a compliment, but I thought I could hear a little mockery from his voice, yet I blushed a little and looked down at my hands "Thank you."

I would have liked to ask him about last night's kiss, but I didn't dare, so I kept silent as well. We were pretty much there when Heeseung cleared his throat "So? Where are you headed?", he asked me, pulling straight into a parking space. He turned the key in the ignition and then turned a little in my direction.

"I don't know" I replied with a shrug. Heeseung smiled, "Sounds promising." It seemed like he wanted to add something, but then my door was opened from the outside and Jay was standing in front of me.

"Hey sweetie." He murmured, leaning down and kissing me. The provocative look he gave Heeseung afterwards didn't escape me and somehow this exchange of glances bothered me. I didn't want to be a trophy or anything... So I let my greeting be a little cooler. "Hey," was the only thing I said.

I got out of the car, with Jay seeming to think I needed help, and was about to lean over to Heeseung inside the car to thank him for playing along, but he had gotten out as well. His look seemed less friendly than before in the car and he stared unblinkingly at Jay.

"So, where do you want to go now?" he asked distantly. Jay next to me built himself up to his full height, which seemed a little more ridiculous compared to Heeseung than if he'd done it next to an average-built boy our age.

"To Loft Five." He said proudly, sticking his chest out like a schoolboy. "Isn't that a little unimaginative? Nothing special for a first date, is it?", Heeseung provoked. I tried to catch his gaze to get him to shut up, but Heeseung ignored me. He only looked at me for a second before his gaze jerked back to Jay.

My Jay's jaw tightened and the hand holding mine squeezed a little tighter. "First of all, this is already our second date-" He countered, "And second, you're welcome to give us a better proposal if you like."

Heeseung thought for a moment, then took a step towards us. "How about 'Miss Miu'?" Jay snorted, "I think my idea is better." He wanted to turn and pull me along, but Heeseung held us back. "So why don't you ask Clara what she thinks?", he asked and both guys suddenly looked at me.

A little overwhelmed because I hadn't expected to be included in the conversation, I looked uncertainly from one to the other. "Uh..." I started, "Which one is more expensive?" "The Loft Five," it came like a shot from Jay. "Well, let's go to the other one. I don't want you to spend that kind of money on me." I suggested, hoping to have solved the problem, but Jay started to protest.

"It doesn't matter how expensive it is. You don't have to worry about that, plus it's a really good restaurant. My dad has his business lunches there too." He explained, as if that were a winning argument. I hesitated, but then Heeseung interfered again. "Miss Miu is a family business, it's much more casual there and if you're lucky you catch a day when it's someone's family birthday, the drinks are free and late at night they dance together with the guests."

I was a little surprised that Heeseung was so enthusiastic about a restaurant where there was dancing, but if I was honest, it sounded more enticing than a stuffy restaurant for business lunches. I just wasn't sure how to break this to Jay. I turned to him, my face a little guilty.

"Don't you think that sounds like fun?" I asked cautiously, noticing that Jay seemed a little indignant at my stabbing him in the back. "I don't mean your suggestion was bad, but I think I'd feel a little forced at Loft Five and from what Heeseung told me, that other restaurant sounds like pretty fun doesn't it?" I pulled a slight pout and looked up at my boyfriend from below. His expression slowly softened and finally he nodded with a smile. "If it makes you happy," he relented and those words put me in a state of limbo.

I looked at Heeseung, who was half-triumphantly, half-mockingly looking at me, waiting for him to walk to his car, but he didn't, so I took the first step and turned around. "Well then, ciao. Thanks for covering." I took Jay's arm and together we started to walk away from Heeseung, but he followed.

Jay turned and looked at his buddy (if you could really call this friendship that) annoyed. "What else?" he hissed. Heeseung raised his shoulders innocently. "What, I thought I could come with you? Or what am I supposed to do alone all evening now? Besides, I thought since I picked out the place, it would be okay."

There was malice in his voice. I heard a snort next to me and almost feared Jay would start shuffling his feet and go after Heeseung. "No, that's not clear." He pressed out between clenched teeth. I nodded in agreement, but unconcerned by this, Heeseung put a finger to his chin thoughtfully.

"Hmm, what am I going to do then? Do you think I should go back home? But then I'm sure our mothers will wonder where you are Claire." He smiled sweetly but menacingly.

My eyes shot sparks in his direction, I would have loved to kill him, but that left me and Jay no choice but to say yes, because I wouldn't be able to give myself the humiliation that the whole thing between Heeseung and I was just an act. Besides, my mom would freak out if she knew that I had lied to her and was dating a different boy than the one she suspected.

A/N: Intresting...