Chapter 27 - An Attack

A deep sigh escapes me as I raise my fist up to the wooden door

I knock and then wait a few seconds. Nothing.

I knock once again. Still nothing.

I knock a few more times until the door from the apartment next door opens. A woman walks out looking at me and offers me a light smile.

"Are you looking for someone?" She asks walking toward me.

"Fumi Carter." I immediately respond with so much hope that she will lead me right to her.

"I'm afraid that you're a few days too late, dear." She informs me and I feel all my hopes slowly vanish.

"What do you mean?" I ask even if I have a pretty good idea of what she is going to tell me.

"Fumi moved out. The apartment is empty."

"Do you know where I can find her?" My hopes rise just a little.

"Not really..." She pauses with a small sigh. "She moved out very suddenly and only said that she was leaving the country."

So many questions immediately come to mind but I don't think this woman would be able to answer them.

"It was quite weird since she has lived here for years. I didn't know her to a personal level but I knew her enough to know that it was a strange thing for her to do. She also seemed scared and maybe panicked."

"What exactly was her job?" I'm hoping she keeps opening her mouth about her.

"I think she was a nanny for some rich man as of recently."

Marcello or whoever has my daughter hired her. It makes so much sense since she obviously knew who I was and seemed scared. She wasn't scared of me she was scared that I would know who she was and learn the truth.

"Thank you, I have to go." I tell the woman who simply nods.

I leave in disappointment.

I had just found her address and I had so much hope in finding her. I was so close to getting Alina back.

Now I'm back to the start.

It's so frustrating how I was so fucking close to Alina and I didn't even realize it. I feel like a horrible mother for letting all of this happen.

I place my hand over my chest where my heart is just as I reach my car. I enter as I feel it beat fast and eventually, I begin to hear it.

My breathing starts to speed up as well to where I feel like I'm suffocating. I feel my hands become clammy and my body is stiff, there isn't a single muscle that I'm able to move. I can't even speak and the only voice I have is the one in my head.

I feel eyes water and hot tears begin to fall down my cheeks and I am unable to move my hands to wipe them away. I don't know what's happening to me but I do know that I'm a horrible mother.