"Home" at Last - 34

Their footsteps on the concrete were louder than the surrounding nature of the neighborhood.

Wednesday followed next to Enid as they walked farther down the streets, they passed by stares of some residents, most were questioning the goth wandering their roads, but most stared at the other.

"Wait- is that?" one of the citizens gasped as she stared at the blonde.

This for sure confirmed it.

If these people identified Enid, this was most definitely her neighborhood.

The pair passed by several more houses until suddenly Enid came to a stop.

Wednesday stopped one step after. She knew immediately when she heard how shaky Enid's breath was.

She followed Enid's gaze and was met upon a house that looked similar to all the others on the street. The only thing unique about it was all the curtains were drawn closed.

"Is that...?"

"Wednesday... this is my home," Enid gulped.

There was a mailbox that read, Sinclair Residence.

Wednesday could feel a slight shakiness in Enid's hand and she knew she was being brave and ready to confront whatever that house holds before them.

The blonde let out a soft gasp, "I can... I can f-feel that I'm- I'm close to my... to my family."

"They're here, Wednesday. They're here."

The ravenette nodded with a firm expression, "It doesn't matter how many, but we will face them all."

"Right. Whatever it takes. As long as we have each other, right?" Enid took a deep breath.

Her hand slowly stopped trembling, and then her feet started taking her away.

The two got closer and closer to the house, onto the front pavement of the yard and then onto the path that directly led to the door.

Enid's pace slowed down, and Wednesday followed. Her face became mixed with emotions, "I... I can feel... loneliness?"

"Loneliness?" Wednesday questioned, "Who in your family would-"

"Wednesday!" Enid gasped all of the sudden, "Someone's coming-"

The door was thrown open and then a boy ran out. He was scraggly and had adolescent features that were nearing maturity. His hair was a curly dirty-blonde.

His eyes had the blue eyes that matched Enid's... only that his were not as magnificent as hers.

He was out of breath, "Enid?"

Wednesday looked over and saw the matching shocked expression, "Desmond?"

"It... it is you," suddenly the boy rushed forward, running across the grass and taking Enid into arms.

Wednesday took a step back and observed the boy. He was the same height as Enid, and Wednesday quickly concluded he was a brother around Enid's age.

Then she realized Enid wasn't hugging back, her arms remained still by her side which the boy, Desmond, realized and pulled away.

"How?" the boy said in a sniffle, tears filling his eyes.

"Why?" Enid responded with a question instead, her eyes mixed with emotions once again.