WE SURVIVED THE GREAT WAR

"Mister Potter! Oh! Thank goodness you're here!" An elderly man says with a slightly panicked smile. Healer Burwood. "Your husband is awake, he's doing well, yes, very well indeed,"

James feels himself let out a sigh of relief. "Thank Merlin," He breezes. "Can I see him? Where is he?"

Healer Burwood frowns and James hates it. "There is a slight complication, I'm afraid, sir," He starts. "The hex your husband suffered has caused some temporary amnesia,"

"Some?" James echoes.

"Yes," Healer Burwood nods. "His mind is delayed about ten years back," He explains softly. "He's...he's very unsettled, your friend is with him at the moment, although, I don't suspect that it is going well," He utters.

Sirius. Sirius had gotten to the hospital before James and must be with Regulus now. He must have rushed here at the mention of Regulus' latest Auror activity, James assumes. Remus and Peter have their girls, taking care of them for James and Regulus.

"And...and my baby?" James dares to ask. His voice is hollow and tired.

"Your son is doing fine, mister Potter. Your husband did not suffer any hexes to his abdominal area, your baby is okay; we've already ran a check up on him and he's doing just fine, son,"

James is about to reply when Sirius walks, in a deflated manner; his shoulders sunk, down the hallway. "Er, Prongs, you mightn't want to see him like this," Sirius greets with a shake of his head. "Or more, Reggie mightn't wanna see you, mate,"

James blinks. Why would he not want to see his dear Regulus? "Why?" He questions. "Is he okay? What's going on-"

"James," Sirius starts. "I assume Healer Burwood has told you about the temporary amnesia?" James nods. "Yeah, well, it appears sixteen year old Regulus has rejoined us and he is not very pleased to be here, ten years older,"

James swallows. He stares at Sirius, taking in the slight mark on his cheek. "Oh," He says, reaching to brush the pad of his thumb against Sirius' handsome face. "Oh, God, he scratched you?"

"Yeah, the healers took his wand, it was his only defense," Sirius shrugs with a small, weak chuckle. "That and yelling at me to leave, Reggie was very colourful with his language, very unbecoming, I thought," He manages to joke.

James turns back to Healer Burwood with a startled expression. "Fix this!" He urges. "Please! Fix my husband, please,"

Healer Burwood shakes his head sadly. "I'm afraid that there is nothing we can do for now. It is simply a matter of refreshing mister Black's memories," He bites his lip. "Go, go talk to him. Perhaps seeing his husband will bring back some recollection for him, after all; you are the man he married, it may refresh his memory to see you,"

James is willing to do anything. So he marches down the hall with determination in both his stride and his heart. Without even knocking, he enters Regulus' room.

His husband is sat up against a pile of pillows, a blue hospital gown on his body and a hospital bracelet around his skinny wrist.  His hair is messy, unkept and falls into his steely grey eyes. Those silvery eyes take James in, and James dares to hope there is a glint of remembrance in them. He hopes and prays with all he has that he is not just being naive.

"Reg," James smiles as he closes the door behind him. "Oh, darling, hi, how are you feeling? You took a nasty blow to the head, but everything else looks fine-"

"Potter," Regulus blinks, his eyes unsure. "What...what are you doing here?" He questions in a scoff. "Well, I suppose someone had to accompany my idiot brother here. Hey, who told him I was here? Who would do that?"