THE REVENGE PACT

James Potter was angry.

A feeling, an emotion, he not usually familiar with, least of all not when concerning Sirius Black.

He is angry for Remus, but that does not mean that this anger is not James' own. How could Sirius do this? Hurt and taint their poor little Moony like this? Try to set him on Snape as though he were an unstable atomic bomb, slowly ticking his way to destruction?

Remus John Lupin, in James' eyes, was nothing short of sweetness. A sweet heart, a sweet mind, a sweet being; no matter what he becomes on the evenings the full moon falls upon.

Exercising his right as Head Boy, James uses his nightly checks around the corridors of the castle as an excuse to not be in their dormitory right now. He had left Peter in the company of Sirius, wondering if Peter's silent treatment will get to Sirius, who is beyond remorseful but it simply isn't enough. He isn't being punished enough, as ruthless and irrational as that may sound.

James wants his own revenge, to avenge his Moony, his Moony who had been so distraught to learn of what he had almost done. What infuriates James the most, however, is that Sirius had left him to tell Remus, too cowardly to watch their Remus crumble to broken sobs as James had informed him of what had happened. Sirius had avoided Remus' cries of terror and disgust with himself and now they will haunt James instead.

James had sat with Remus for hours this morning, simply holding the trembling boy as Remus' shoulders shivered and he eventually had cried so much, he had gagged and retched horribly, nothing coming out of his mouth as he breathlessly heaved. "I'm a monster...I...I'm a monster, aren't I? He...he wouldn't have done it if he didn't think so too,"

And that had shattered James, as he had looked into Remus' tear hazed brown eyes. Sirius. Remus is talking about Sirius.

Sirius, his boyfriend, his friend, his lover, his everything. Remus believed that Sirius must also share the belief that he is nothing but a monstrous beast, or else he would not have ever entertained the thought of leading Snape to Remus, to be potentially torn to shreds by the wolf.

James' mind flashes with anger as he recalls Remus' broken, worn voice. He storms through the hallways, his annoyance and frustration growing as he spot a group of fifth year Slytherin boys. Among them, Sirius' younger brother, Regulus. "Oi!" James calls out. "It's past curfew, hop to bed before I write you all up, idiots," He mumbles.

But then, then an idea taunts him.

"Hey, Black," He calls out to the younger of the brothers. "C'mere for a minute," James beckons as the other boys scurry away, like little beetles.

Regulus' stormy expression matches James'. "What? You're gonna write me up? That it?" He grits. "Why me, personally? There were a couple of us here, Potter," He spits. But then, then, something glistens in Regulus' silvery eyes and he smirks. ""Unless, of course, you only picked little old me at random out of a group of half-a-dozen Slytherins, Potter?"

James hisses at him; "Oh, you're just as egotistical as that brother of yours, aren't you?" He snaps.

"Oh?" Regulus raises an eyebrow, tauntingly. "Had a little spat with him, have you? Well, I thought it'd eventually come, your rose tinted glasses would fail you sooner or later," He scoffs.