THE TRAITOR

James is gently rubbing his fingers up and down Regulus' spine soothingly when the words reach his ears.

"There's a leak in the Order,"

The words sends a cold shiver down James' back. He swallows harshly before, "There isn't a leak in the Order." He replies firmly, tightening his grip on his boyfriend. "There's a leak in the Death Eaters and it's you." He says as though he has to remind Regulus.

As though he has to notify Regulus of the extremely dangerous position he's put both himself and their child in all in the name of defying the Dark Lord and his entire family legacy.

Regulus turns around to face him, shaking his head before exhaling softly. "James, listen to me," He gently cups the older man's face. "Somebody is carrying information back. I've heard it, I've heard things that I've only heard from you, or Sirius, or Lily, or anyone else. Voldemort knows things that he can't possibly know," He whispers darkly.

James shudders at the mention of the dark wizard's name. "Reg, darling, you can't just say things like that. You can't-"

"I can't because then everybody will think your little boyfriend is the one filing information back, isn't that it?" Regulus interrupts.

James swallows before nodding. He sighs. "Regulus, you know that there'll be talk. I love you, sweetheart, but there's already been minor speculation on just how much you can be trusted as the spy-"

"Because apparently carrying around the child of one of the most prominently fighting Auror's isn't enough for those prats," Regulus hisses, a hand coming to rest atop his belly. He wears a glamor charm while attending Death Eater meetings, so far; his bump has not been discovered.

"If that lot can trust Sirius, then they can learn to trust me. We're from the same prejudice bollox and if he can fight for Dumbledore, so can I," Regulus adds with a tut.

James let's his hand rest along with his boyfriend's. He rubs the tender skin gently, his thumn tracing over the silver lines that their baby has marked Regulus with. "Just let it sit with me, darling. I'll bring it up to Dumbledore as soon as I get a minute to. If you think there's a leak, there's a leak, right?"

Regulus nods, pleased to be listened to. "I promise, James. There has to be a leak. Voldemort is gathering far too much information about our side too quickly. He has to have an implant placed somewhere in the Order,"

James nods firmly. "I'll make Dumbledore search every corner of the Order until we find who it is," He kisses Regulus' temple. "And I promise, mama, I won't let you be suspected even for a second. I trust you, so everybody else should," He pauses for a moment, his features unreadable.

Regulus swallows. "What? Why have you got that funny look about you? James-"

"If somebody's handing information back, do you-" James gulps. His plan presses closer to Regulus' belly. "Do you think they've passed back the fact that you're pregnant? Do you think he knows?" James whispers, as if he doesn't even want to entertain the thought.

Regulus shakes his head. "I use a glamour. If he suspects I'm pregnant, he certainly has no evidence to support it. I've been careful, James, I promise. The baby comes before spying for Dumbledore, I've told Albus Dumbledore as much too!"

James breaks out in a small, soft grin as he snuggles closer to Regulus. "You're so, so brave, Reg, protecting our little one while attending those awful meetings." He murmurs.

Regulus nods. "Well, at least my parents are proud I'm at those fucking meetings,"

Their baby is born in the early hours of the very final day of Summer. A boy.