IN MY HEART, YOU WILL ALWAYS BE

They lay in James' bed, listening to the harsh rain outside tap against the window. James is curled up, his face buried against Regulus' chest, Regulus' hand idly stroking his belly. They have been silent for quite some time now and Regulus knows that eventually James will question him.

And that time comes quicker than expected, and Regulus is not ready for it.

"Are you ready to talk about why you packed up and moved in with me yet?"

James' voice is soft and gentle, not pressuring his boyfriend. Regulus appreciates this. He allows his palm to fall flat against James' little bump before sighing quietly. "She...she used an unforgivable. I've seen her use them on Sirius before, but for some reason I never thought that she'd do it to me,"

Now, that is not to say that Sirius didn't deserve what he got. But in Regulus' mind, with Sirius gone, it was almost like his mother needed him.

Not wanted, never wanted.

She needed him to play the role of the perfect son, she needed him to obey and show her nothing less than obedience. Like that of a solider. Perhaps that is all both he and Sirius had ever been to her. She has always been preparing them for a war, whether it be against her or not.

James freezes, his body stiffening. He looks up to Regulus with such sad brown eyes that it almost kills Regulus entirely and completely. Right then and there. He is sure that he would not want to die anywhere else than in James' embrace and in his bed, beneath the warm covers. 

"Oh," James whispers. "Oh, my love-"

"It's alright, James, it's alright," Regulus mumbles softly. "I'm alright. I'm here with you, aren't I?"

"Did she hurt you?" James questions gently. "Are you hurt still?"

Regulus shakes his head, pressing a kiss to James' forehead. "I'm okay, darling," He mutters against James' forehead. "How're you doing? It went over well with your mum and dad, eh?"

"It isn't about me right now, silly,"

Regulus kisses James' forehead once more. "It'll always be about you, hon," He smirks quietly.

AUTHOR'S NOTE
Just a short, sweet continuation of the last one shot! I'm currently writing a very angsty one shot, so prepare yourselves! 💗😊