THE YULE BALL

Requested by gglove2020 💗💖

Regulus' head has been spinning since his appointment with Pomfrey that morning. He groans slightly as he adjusts his dress robes. He hates them. They're a dark green tone and he quite frankly wishes his mother hadn't sent them at all.

"Are you ready, Reg?" James asks from across the room. Regulus nods slowly. Sirius and he were wearing matching robes and neither boy was particularly fond of it.

Regulus especially isn't found of it as he has stashed a very private belonging in the pocket of his pair of robes and has been anxious all evening that Sirius and he may accidentally mix up their identical robes and then Sirius would know.

And if Sirius knows, then Remus knows too and if they both know; then James is bound to also be in the know.

"I can not believe we have to twin! Was sharing less than a apart of life not enough?" Sirius groans.

Regulus rolls his eyes. Sirius has always loathed that despite being Regulus' big brother, he merely is only slightly older; as Sirius was born early November 1959 and Regulus came into the world in early July 1960. In reality, Regulus is merely a few months behind James in age.

A Scorpio and Cancer, two water signs. Remus, almost a water sign, mixes well with the duo. James takes the role of their resident fire sign while Peter is a Gemini.

"Well, I think you look wonderful. Both of you," James sniggers and Remus cackles with him. "What'd you say we match too, Moony?" They collapse into a fit of giggles and Regulus scoffs.

"This is not funny, we look ridiculous!" He complains.

Sirius nods in agreement. "We're going to be a laughingstock!"

Regulus nods towards their chuckling boyfriends and whistles. "I think we already are," He grimaces.

Remus seems to straighten up. "Right, can we go then? Pete's already headed off to meet up with that Gryffindor girl in the year below us. Dunno how he pulled her,"

Sirius wrinkles his nose. "She's very needy, I heard-"

James rolls his eyes. "Okay and we all like men, so it's none of our business," He retorts.

"Clearly I like men, I mean have you seen these emerald dress robes?!"

That was all it had taken for Remus and James to be back to their hysterical laughter.

James' hands grip Regulus' waist delicately. "You've been really quiet, Reg," He hums as he presses their foreheads together. "You aren't nervous, are you?"

"Nervous?" Regulus pipes. "No, those Hufflepuff girls can keep goggling over at you all they like. You're mine," He teases.

"All yours," James declares with a chuckle as they sway around the room.

"Will you always be mine and I'll always be yours even if we have to share something together soon, James?" Regulus asks innocently.

He's hesitant and James wonders what is on his mind. "What's up with you? You've been really quiet and now you're gushing all this literature," He muses.

"My head just hurts a little," Regulus says softly. He shakes his head. "I've had a headache all day, is all," He explains, waving James' concerns off.

James grins. "Alright, you tease, so what'll we be sharing together soon, eh? Me, you, the Gryffindor common room sofa?" He smirks. "Me, you, prefects bathrooms and a silencing charm, perhaps?"

"Don't push your luck, tosser," Regulus laughs. "You can't freak out on me, alright? We're in a very public setting and I can't have those Hufflepuff girls thinking we're on the outs," He chuckles nervously. "They might try swoop in then,"

James squints. "Angel, what's going on? We're okay, aren't we?" He seems saddened and slightly anxious and Regulus just decides it's now or never.

Regulus nods. "I'm pregnant, James," He murmurs as he clings closer to James. He feels James' grip on him stiffen slightly and James grows tense. So he begins to focus on everything else in the room. Remus and Sirius twirling one another around being his main distraction because of how nice Sirius looks in his dark green robes. Regulus wonders briefly if they look alike now, both wearing the colors of Slytherin.

He had always been told he and Sirius resembled one another, even James used to mix them up in the hallways when Regulus had first arrived at Hogwarts.

Regulus ponders if his baby will resemble Sirius. He can't imagine his child with James looking like his brother. He wrinkles his nose slightly, forgetting the conversation at hand momentarily until James speaks.

"You're pregnant...." James repeats in a breathy tone.

Regulus nods. "Surprise?" He says weakly with a raise of his eyebrows.

"Surprise it is, eh?" James says. His expression is unreadable and Regulus feels sick.

"You're upset." He states firmly. James shakes his head instantly.

"M'not upset! I'm just a little taken back, I thought we'd been much more careful....." He trails.

Regulus sighs. "I'm sorry," He whispers. "I-I didn't think it would happen to us," He breaths before loosening himself from James' grip and exiting out the door. He makes a turn towards an empty corridor.

"Regulus! Christ, wait up!" James calls, leaving The Great Hall just as fast. He eventually catches up with his boyfriend. "Lovey, I'm not upset. I'm sorry, I didn't react very well, I know. I'm just feeling quite a lot right now, but none of it is anger or upsetness towards you, sweetheart," He reminds.

Regulus nods. "Are you scared?" He questions softly.

"Extremely,"

Regulus can't help but smile. "I am too,"

James softly grins and pulls him into a tight hug. "We can be scared together. We're going to be alright, you and me," He promises. He pulls away for a second. "Have you got one of those little photographs? Did Pomfrey give you one?"

Regulus nods and reaches into his robes pockets. "I was going to show you as soon as I could. I've been worried all evening that Sirius would accidentally pick up my pair of these hideous robes and find it," Regulus reaches deep into the pocket and pulls out a small, rectangular photograph that moves.

Their baby is moving on it.

James gasps as Regulus passes it to him. "Merlin, that's inside of you?" He whispers, his mouth parted in wonder and awe.

"Mmh," Regulus hums. "Fifty galleons to whoever can guess who put that inside of me," He muses. James laughs softly as he can't seem to tear his eyes away from the photograph clutched between his fingers.

"God, you've got a baby in your belly. My baby," James grins proudly.

Regulus smirks. "Yeah, well, I've also got hideous robes," He jokes.