THIRTY

Vanessa walked down Main Street until she came to the pawnshop, and entered it where Mr Gold was stood behind the counter, per usual.

He looked up at her, "Vanessa," he smiled a little, "What can I do for you?" Mr Gold asked.

She walked closer to the counter, "I need you to tell me something about," she pulled the hat out of her bag, "This," Vanessa said as she placed it on the counter in front of him.

"Well, I can tell by its design that you've got exquisite taste," Mr Gold said.

"It's not mine, it was sent to me," she pulled the letter out of her bag, "Along with this," she handed the letter to him, and he looked it over, "I know you sell vintage items, and this seems to be vintage to me. So, I was hoping you could shed some insight on it," Vanessa said.

"Well, I'd love to, dearie, but I'm afraid I have no recollection of ever selling a hat, or hats, like this," Mr Gold said.

"Never? You've never seen anyone wear one in here at least?" Vanessa asked.

Mr Gold shook his head, "I've never seen anyone wear one like this. As I said," he looked down at the hat, "It's an exquisite design, very unique," he looked back at her, "My guess is whoever gave it to you, made it themself," Mr Gold said.

"Hm, well, uh," she picked the hat and letter up off the counter, "Thank you for trying anyways," Vanessa said and walked to the door.

"I do hope you find what you're looking for," she turned to him, "Missing pieces of a puzzle can be hard on someone. Maybe try asking your mother. She knows a lot about this town, a lot of the secrets, too," Mr Gold said.

Vanessa nodded slowly, "Uh, thanks...I guess," She said and left the pawnshop.

----------<3----------

Meanwhile inside Granny's Diner, Harper was sat opposite Archie in one of the booths, talking about Henry.

"Harper! I'm sorry, but I'm afraid you don't have any case for custody!" Archie said.

"Even after everything she's done?" Harper asked.

"Which you can't prove! Why don't I ask you a question. With this war raging on, who do you think's really getting hurt?" Archie asked.

"I know. Henry! But don't you think it's a good thing he's spending time with me? I'm his mother!" Harper said.

"Yes, you are. And so is Regina. And well, look, the court is gonna come in and look at him and see how he's been since you've come into his life," Archie said.

"And he's been happier, right?" Harper asked.

"Maybe. I mean, objectively? He's skipped school, he's stolen a credit card, he's run off, he...he's endangered himself repeatedly. And so in the eyes of the law it's not so-," Archie said.

"What about in your eyes? What do you think?" Harper asked.

"I mean, a while ago, I told you to engage him in his fantasy life, and...perhaps I was wrong. Because he's only retreated further into it," Archie said.

"You think he's better off with her?" Harper asked.

"I've never said that," Archie said.

"Do you think that she would ever hurt him?" Harper asked.

"No, never. Everyone else, but not him. Look, right or wrong, her actions have all been defensive. I'm not judging, but," he sighed, "In many ways, your rival has woken a sleeping dragon," Archie said.

"Tell me, honestly. Has he been better off since Emma and I got here?" Harper asked.

"Oh, that's not a matter of better off. It's a matter of this war has to end. If you two are going to be in his life, you have to figure out the best way to do that," Archie said.