NINE

The next day, Vanessa was still lying in the hospital bed when there was a knock at the door.

She looked up to see David standing at the door, "Mr Nolan," she sat up in bed, "What are you doing here?" Vanessa asked.

"Please, call me David," he entered further into the room, "I just came to check on you. How are you feeling?" David asked.

"Well, considering I'm not dead from falling down an abandoned mineshaft, I'd say I'm doing pretty good," she smiled at him, "Thanks though, for checking on me," she looked at the flowers, "And for the flowers," Vanessa said.

"Well, I was worried," David said.

Vanessa looked back at him, "No need to be now," Vanessa said.

"I guess not," he smiled, "It's different seeing you as the patient and not the doctor," David said.

"It feels different. Well, I should be heading out," Vanessa said as she tried getting up.

"Woah! Shouldn't you be, uh...resting?" David questioned as he helped her.

"I'll be fine. I don't like to sit still," she spotted her belongings on a chair, and made her way to it, "I'm not staying here any longer. If I need anything, I can just take care of myself," she looked at David as she put her shoes on, "You're not going to try and stop me, are you?" Vanessa said.

"Would it do any good?" David asked.

"No," they shared a laugh, "Well, thanks again," she walked to the door and looked at him, "See you around...David. Say hi to Kathryn for me," Vanessa said and left the hospital room.

----------<3----------

A while later, David, Kathryn and Joseph were standing outside Kathryn and David's house, where a little sign that read The Nolans was in on the lawn.

David looked at the sign, "You know, you had the same look on your face before we bought it, too. You couldn't see past the ugly windmill on the lawn. And said you'd never buy an old lady house. Do you remember what made you change your mind?" Kathryn asked.

"Well, I see the windmill is gone," David said.

"Come on. Everyone's waiting," Kathryn said.

"Who's everyone?" David and Joseph asked as they walked up the walkway and entered the house.

Most of the residents of Storybrooke were gathered in the Nolan's house, for David and Joseph's coming home party, and Kathryn began to introduce them to everyone.

"This is Gene," Kathryn said.

"Good to see you, Dave," Gene said.

"How are you doing?" David asked as he shook his hand.

"Hi," Joseph said with a smile as he shook his hand next.

"And this is Ellen, his wife," Kathryn said.

"Ellen, hi," David said.

"Hey," Joseph said.

"And Frank," Kathryn said.

"Hey," David and Joseph said.

Dr Whale walked up to them, "Hey," He said as he looked at them.

"Dr Whale," Kathryn said.

"Hi, David, Joseph. Look, I know this is a lot, but it's good for the both of you. The smallest things can trigger your memories. Just try and have fun," Dr Whale said.

"Thank you," Joseph said.

"Yes, thank you, Dr Whale. I'll try my best," David said.

----------<3----------