ELEVEN

Flashback

A human Rumplestiltskin was spinning straw in a crude-looking house as a young girl, Rayleigh, was pouring them two glasses of water.

"Here you go, Papa," Rayleigh said as she handed her father a glass.

He took the glass, "Thank you, dear," Rumplestiltskin said before taking a sip.

Suddenly, a young boy, the same age as Rayleigh, came rushing into the hobble, "Papa, Papa!" they looked at him, "They've come for Morraine," Baelfire said.

Rumplestiltskin grabbed his cane and the three of them went outside to see several guards dragging the young girl away from her screaming parents.

"No!" The mother yelled.

"No, please! Please!" The father yelled.

"No! No, don't take her! You can't take her! She's my baby! Don't take my baby!" The mother said.

"Nonsense. She is a fine, strong girl. She'll make a fine soldier," Hordor said.

"It's a mistake, she's turning fourteen. Only fourteen!" The father said.

"Orders of the Duke! The ogre wars have taken their toll this season. More troops will turn the tide," Hordor said.

"They lowered the age again, Papa," Rayleigh said.

"I know," Rumplestiltskin said as he held his son and daughter close.

"Take her," the other knights grabbed the girl, "She'll ride with me," Hordor said and the girl was shoved onto the back of his horse.

"No!" The mother yelled.

"You can't have her!" The father yelled.

The mother drew a knife and lunged towards the knight when suddenly, she and the father were frozen by an invisible force. In the field behind them, a black-cloaked figure on a black horse, appeared to be controlling them as they withered to the floor.

"The Dark One seems to think I can," Hordor said.

The dark figure relented and Hordor, the knights and the girl rode off.

Baelfire and Rayleigh looked at their father, "Our birthday's in three days. They'll come for us in three days!" Rayleigh said.

"Papa, what do we do?" Baelfire asked.