TWENTY FOUR

Jefferson opened a door and shoved Harper and Emma into a room, where the walls were lined with tophats.

Harper looked around the room, "Someone's got an obsession," She muttered to herself.

"I don't know what you think you're doing, but if you hurt our friend, I swear we'll make you regret it," Emma said.

"Hurt her? I'm saving her life," Jefferson said.

Harper looked at him, "How do you figure that?" She asked.

"Don't play stupid. We both know what happens when people try to leave Storybrooke," Jefferson said.

"What are you talking about?" Harper asked.

"The curse," Jefferson said.

"What curse?" Harper and Emma asked.

"The one keeping us all trapped. All except the two of you," Jefferson said.

"Have you been reading Henry's book?" Emma asked.

"Henry? You mean the Queen's father?" Jefferson questioned.

"Henry, the Mayor's adopted kid," Harper said.

"Oh, Henry. Your Henry...and his book of stories, the ones that you two choose to ignore. Maybe if you both knew what I know, you wouldn't," Jefferson said.

"Why have you been spying on us?" Harper asked.

Jefferson moved about the room, pointing his gun at Harper's head briefly before lowering it, "Because for the last twenty-eight years, I've been stuck in this house, day after day, always the same. Until one night, you two, in the little yellow Bug, roll into town, and the clock ticks and things start to change. You see...I know what you two refuse to acknowledge, Harper, Emma. You're both special. You two brought something precious to Storybrooke...magic," Jefferson said.

"You're insane," Harper said.

"Because I speak the truth?" Jefferson questioned.

"Because you're talking about magic," Emma said.

"I'm talking about what I've seen. Perhaps, you're the ones who are mad," Jefferson said.

"Really?" Harper and Emma questioned.

"What's crazier than seeing and not believing? Because that's exactly what you've both been doing since you got to our little hamlet," Jefferson stood in front of Harper and Emma, inches from their faces, "Open your eyes. Look around. Wake up. Isn't it about time?" Jefferson said.

"What do you want?" Emma asked as Harper gripped her friends' hand.

"I want you both to get it to work," Jefferson told them before pushing them into chairs.

"You want us to get what to work?" Harper asked, confused as they looked at a hat on the table in front of them.

"You're the only ones that can do this. You're both gonna get it to work," Jefferson said.