Chapter 19

It was then New Year's Eve, midday to be exact, and both the Port Mafia and the Armed Detective Agency were preparing for the time of letting go of the past and welcoming the new year.

Everyone was preparing in the Agency, yet Dazai had worked harder than usual. Instead of him lying around, reading his suicide manual or listening to suicide songs, he was actually helping.

He looked troubled, but he tried not to. Atsushi clearly noticed that.

"Dazai-san, is something wrong?" Atsushi asked, an innocent look was marrying his face. Yet his eyes showed slight worry. "You look troubled."

"Ah," Dazai exhaled, putting on an Innocent grin and his eyes growing wide ever so slightly. "That's nothing, Atsushi-kun."

"Are you sure? You don't usually work a lot like this." The boy went on.

"I just want to help, and... " The brunette trailed off, lowering his head but still keeping his hands on the streamers he was setting up above the food table and letting them drop down slightly. "I want to tell you something."

"What is it?" The dual-colour-eyed male asked.

"Follow me." The brunette stated.

The two left the office and went to a place that was private, but not too far away from the Agency.

"Dazai-san, what did you have to tell me?"  Atsushi asked.

"Promise you'll keep it a secret?" Dazai inquired.

"I promise I won't tell!"  The weretiger exclaimed, the slightest bit of worry  seeping through his words.

"Well, you know about the Port Mafia, right?" The bandaged man asked, obviously knowing what the weretiger's answer.

"Of course I do. Is there anything bothering you about that?" Atsushi questioned.

"Well, as you may know, I used to be an executive in said organization." Dazai spoke, taking in a deep breath as he scratched the back of his neck. "And, with that offer that Mori gave me—the one about me becoming an executive again—had brought back some memories. Good, fun memories." The brunette went on.

"Okay.." Atsushi breathed. "I don't understand?"

"I accepted it."

"You... Accepted it.?" Atsushi was shocked.

Dazai let out a sigh, obviously regretting the fact he told him. Yet he had to. They'd find out sooner or later, he thought.

"Yes, I did. I'm sorry," apologized Dazai, his forehead earning lines of regret.

"It's fine, Dazai-san. If it's something that you enjoy, then I'm okay with that." The platinum-haired male sighed somewhat contently, smiling softly at his superior.
"Akutagawa did tell me about having a suspicion of you accepting the offer since he saw that Mori-san had left to meet with someone."

"And I'm guessing that someone was me." The brunette chuckled.

"Yeah." Atsushi sighed.

"Promise you won't tell?" Asked Dazai.

"Pinkie-promise." Agreed Atsushi.

The two went on their way back to the Agency, laughing together as they talked about Atsushi's relationship.

Once they were inside and walking up the flight of stairs leading to the floor their office was located in, the weretiger said something about Akutagawa being clingy.

"He honestly reminds me of Chuuya, really." Dazai laughed affectionately, recalling the times the ginger had been clingy to him.

"You two are together?" The grey-haired male asked cheerfully with stars in his eyes.

"We've been together since we were about..." Dazai trailed off, standing before the door leading to their office as he tried to remember.
"Sixteen, I think?"

"Wahhh! So, you never broke up when you left?"
"We've stayed together since. So the answer is no, we never broke up."

The two entered the office, laughing together, only to be met with Kunikida's stern glare.

"Ah, Kunikida-kun. Is there anything you need?" Dazai sighed thinking Kunikida would give the two another lecture and scold them.

"The President wants the gifted ones of the Agency to meet with the Port Mafia." Kunikida spoke, fixing his glasses.

Dazai cooed in curiosity and his face lit up as if he were a child receiving a present.

"I get to see Chuuya! I get to see Chuuya! My precious chibikko!" He sang.

"Err.. Dazai-san?" Atsushi called, slightly nervous.

"Yes, Atsushi-kun?" Dazai asked.

"Why are you so excited to see someone you hate?"  Asked the weretiger.

"I just told you I loveeeee him, Atsushi-kun! How could you forget?!" The brunette exclaimed, putting a hand on his chest and gasping dramatically.

"Right..." Sighed Atsushi.
"We should probably get going now." The youth suggested.

"Yes, we should." The man with glasses agreed.

They all went out to go to a certain location to meet with the Port Mafia for unknown reasons, and were all asking each other the same question: Why were they going to meet with a criminal organization?

A/N: Early new year special ig 🤷🏽‍♂️ idk when I'm gonna post again but stay tuned y'all