Chapter 23

That Friday John got dressed in his best neat clothing to meet up with Jessica and her parents, everything in his showed how nervous he was, the way he talked and the way he acted.

He decided to get flower on his way to her home, a great way to start his meeting with her parents, they weren't even sure why they were having this dinner, both John and Jessica didn't even decide what to call their relationship.

Surprisingly John had managed to charm her father with his jokes and words; by the end of the night her father was not only impressed with John but told him that he should join them often after his Christmas break.

'That was a good day' John said as Jessica walked him to the door, she finally managed to leave a sigh of relief 'papa seems to like you more than me at this point.' She joked.

'No I am sure he still has a little love for you.' She jokingly slapped John's arm. 'I am joking'

'I know, so this was nice' she smiled.

He nodded 'I'll write to you okay?'

'Okay'

'Okay?' he said and she rolled her eyes laughing 'Get going now, I don't want to hold you away from your friends.' He waved and made his way back to Welton, it is not surprising that the boys asked him how did his "date" went, he told them it was okay but couldn't stop smiling to himself every-time he remember how Jessica's family completely adored him.

The week seemed hazy to Dylan, he wasn't sure was it the headache or the cold getting to him but he remembered finding his way to the tree, where he saw Aiden as always drawing sitting alone.

Dropping his book, Dylan sat next to him with a smile; Aiden noticed the dark circles under Dylan's eyes but said nothing since he knew it was exam time so they often stayed up studying; instead Aiden gave a smile and went to his drawing.

'What are you drawing?'

Aiden held up a half down painting of two hands reaching for each other, Dylan gasped reaching for the drawing 'this is so beautiful, who is this for?'

'Could be yours if you want it?' Aiden replied.

'Really? Are you done with it?'

Aiden nodded 'I was just doing the little details here' he pointed with his pencil 'and I am done.'

Dylan forwarded it to him 'sign it, so I will have one of your first paintings when you are all famous and busy.'

Aiden laughed at how Dylan thought but he did sign it anyways 'I am sorry to say that I don't think I will ever be that of an artist.' Dylan brows frowned in confusion 'why would you say that? You are really good at the painting and drawing. Let's not forget the way you put all your efforts in the work that you do. Are you sure this is just a hobby? I mean I am not saying having a hobby is a bad thing, but why not turn it into your full time job? You know I will be mad if you say that you don't think your work is great because it is amazing, I would love to see it in display someday.'

Aiden sighed 'My father doesn't think art is a real payable job.'

'And what do you think?'

Aiden shrugged 'all I ever wanted to do was paint, draw and just capture it all in my drawings. But now I am not sure if I am able to do that, I feel numb without drawing, I just, I don't know.'

Dylan nodded 'I am not telling you to go against your father but I will remind you that we have one life and it is exhaust to think about what others want from us, you won't have the time to regret not following your dream by the time you are sixty something.'

Christmas break didn't seem to pass smoothly, Dylan often forgot most of the days, things and wasn't himself for the holiday, he didn't even remember Christmas time, the headaches were getting worse as the time passed, school after the holiday wasn't the best for him in many cases, it felt that every day was worse than the other, he couldn't keep up with the classes.

Even after having painful nights Dylan managed to keep his grades up, faked his excitement and never showed the pain around his friends, continued to attend the cave meetings.

By the end of the year Dylan was having bloody coughs every night. The fear of finding out what was wrong with him made him weak, his eyes lost the spark, Mr. Ronald asked him something was wrong on last day of school before their summer break but Dylan completely changed into his cheerful self, assuring his teacher that it was nothing, only to get in car and pass out on his way to home. His friends never got the chance to notice what was wrong with him, he was a great actor and he hid his pain in the best way he knew.