Chapter 22

Chapter 22

It was really hot today but we had to install this hydraulic system ASAP. I was looking at Austin and Conner, the sweat was dripping down their faces. Their faces were also red as a tomato. I took off my hard hat and wiped the sweat off my forehead. I scratched my head and put my hard hat back on. My hair was braided in cornrows and after today's heat. I knew I had the job of undoing these braids and wash my hair. I sighed well lucky for me I was going to be off for a week. 

The Tuesday I came back to work, I was given what I felt was bad news. I'm now officially on the 2 weeks on and 1 week off shift. When I get home. I'ma take a nice long hot shower, eat and go to bed. I need the rest. But first let me and the guys get this finished.

I climbed out the work's truck when it stopped at my house. 

"My heart's broken. Licia won't be at work tomorrow. I'll miss you Licia." Tyson said dramatically with his hands on his chest.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll miss you too Tyson." I said bye to the guys sitting in the back. They greeted me back with cheers and whistles. The driver hooted and I waved bye. 

I saw a few neighbours of mine shaking their heads. Whenever I'm dropped off it tends get very noisy in the street. 

I entered the gate and saw Aunt Diane sitting on the porch fanning herself.

She then spoke, "evening child. It's hotter than a jalapeno's cutchie. How did you work in this weather dear? Look at you you're burnt."

I looked at my arms and they were darker than usual. "Evening Aunt Diane, yeah it wasn't easy but I survived."

She then frowned, "did you put on Sunscreen? Just cos ya black don't mean you aint gotta put on sunscreen." 

I rolled my eyes but answered her, "yeah I did. If you would excuse me Aunt Diane but I'm sticky and sweaty and covered in dirt and grease. I need a shower."

She nodded, "go on dear, when you're done you can dish up for yourself. The food's ready."

"Thank you."

I was now sitting in front of the TV eating my food and drinking a beer. I felt my eyes drooping and decided to finish up quickly and go to bed. 

When I reached my door Aunt Diane yelled and said I have to go do grocery shopping with her tomorrow morning. I sighed but replied with an okay. As soon as I entered my room and looked in the mirror I forgot about my hair. I switched on the light and started loosening my braids. I'll wash it tomorrow and then come braid it when I come back from the shops. As soon as my head hit the pillow I was out.

Aunt Diane and I got out her car and walked into the discount store. Someone hooted and greeted us.

"Hey Diane, hey Licia." we both turned around and waved at the person.

"Hey Landry how you doing?" Aunt Diane asked.

Landry replied, "I'm good." she drove off and waved bye.

"That Landry got herself into some mess..." Aunt started gossiping about Landry.

I was pushing the trolley and Aunt Diane was looking at prices of the cooking oil on the shelf. We then heard shouting. 

"It's not fair I want it." I turned to see a teenage girl yelling at her mom.

"No Simone, I can't afford it now." Her mom explained, but her voice all soft.