Chapter 13

Chapter 13 

A/N 

Some of you are going to be a bit disappointed. This chapter deals with self-discovery for Alicia. I apologise for the long chapter. I just felt it wasn't going to work if I spilt the chapters. This Chapter deals with very sensitive stuff. I would like to ask that you be open-minded. I don't wanna give anything away. All I'm saying is that it can be uncomfortable for a few people but there are people who live this lifestyle. This story is rated mature and this chapter is for mature readers. I am apologising and warning everyone now.  

But I do hope you enjoy the chapter.

I was still looking at the rose when I heard someone clear their voice.  

"So you and a white guy?" a deep voice said next to me and I glared at him. 

"Yeah and your point is?" I asked. 

"Don't the townsfolk have a problem with your relationship?" he asked. 

I shook my head, "if you know anything about Rochdale. You would know that this town is very racially tolerant. There's actually quite a few interracial relationships in town." 

He looked surprised, "really? For a small town like this?" 

I sighed and decided to let him in on the town's history. "Do you mind if I give you a bit of a history lesson?" 

He shook his head, "no go ahead." He sat up straight and listened. 

I began to speak, "this town was founded by white folk that weren't interested in racism. They bought as many slaves as they could and moved to this town. Once they were settled they secretly gave them their freedom. Over the many years the town could stay on neutral ground with the many things that happened. People fled to our town and it got bigger. My uncle Billy did say that is why it took so long for any development to happen in the town. As the government wanted to punish the town for their views. I aint saying there is no racism but it's really a few people." 

He nodded and was intrigued, "so if someone makes their racists views known what happens?" 

I smiled, "people beat them up and chase them out of town. When I was younger there was a white supremacist group that settled here and the people were unhappy. They started vandalising their houses and would always start fights with them whenever they were in town. That's why those who are racist, really have to keep that to themselves. People in town don't take racists very kindly." 

He nodded again and scratched his chin, "So people in your town look at you as an individual by your actions and behaviour?" 

I nodded, "yeah, we do have other problems like alcohol and drug abuse, domestic violence, gangsters you know socio-economic problems cause the town is still small but we're gonna get there one day."  

I realised I was very proud of my town and I could be. The guy I spoke to, his name was Jerel and he was from the city. He had gone visit his family and was going home. He decided to come sit next to me and we were travel buddies. He was very interesting to talk and it was kind nice talking to him about topics I usually couldn't talk about.  

We were talking about how the government in Japan were worried about the country's population in the future. The government was encouraging people to go on dates. I told him I had watched a Vice documentary on YouTube about the topic. This was a topic I found interesting and couldn't really talk about these kind of topics with the people in town.

Four hours had passed and we arrived in the city. I've been in the city many times before and wasn't in awe like small town folk usually were. Jerel and I swopped numbers and said our goodbyes. I got off the bus and looked around for the guy that was supposed to pick me up.