Chapter 4

Chapter 4 

It's Friday and tomorrow I was off. This was a first ever. Oh well I'll be partying. It was almost knock off time I was busy polishing glasses out of boredom. I heard someone clear their throat and I looked up and saw it was Roy. I looked at the time and saw my shift was almost over. We greeted and he started talking. 

"I saw you Monday at the mine. You were there for the interview?" he asked. I nodded. "How was it? You got the job?" 

I sighed, "It was okay but they had a problem with my experience or lack thereof. So I can't say if I got the job or not. I'm leaning more to not. But they said they let me know by Monday."  

Roy shook his head, "nah you're gonna get I can feel it. They need to employ women they've got a quota. Watch this space. Soon I'll be calling ya my fellow colleague."  

"Yeah, yeah Roy." I mumbled. 

"You know when you get the job you have to go for training. One training course is out of town and the other onsite." He explained. 

"Yeah he explained and asked if I had children cos I'll be going for training." I told him. 

"You going to be liking the training out of town. Trust me." he said. 

"And why's that?" I asked. 

"You're in the city, you get to meet new people seeing that you're a woman you might get a whole room for yourself." 

I rolled my eyes at him. Wow I thought sarcastically. 

Tyrell an ex of mine came in. After we broke up we remained good friends. He doesn't make a good boyfriend but he makes a good friend. He looked stressed since the shooting in his neighbourhood. Actually everyone is on the edge and upset. He came to sit and ordered a drink. I made it and gave it to him. He took a sip and relaxed a little.  

"So what's news? Anything new?" Roy asked him. 

He sighed, "Damn it's still crazy man. There's big shit now. That poor kid. Hell I aint no angel but gangs and drugs I stay away from. This town is so small why do we even have gangs?"  

"I don't know it's stupid. But Casey must be going crazy. I know I shouldn't judge but what was the kid doing outside. Especially at that time of the night." I said. There was a small kid outside and got shot in the crossfire. I was feeling guilty because I sort of knew who was involved but I haven't said anything. 

Tyrell rolled his eyes, "Bitch was passed out after taking heroine and the kid got out. They might charge her with negligence. If the kid survives they're taking him away." I shook my head. He took a drag of his cigarette and blew. "Cops are looking for someone who ran away before the shooting happened. Apparently that person can identify who was involved."  

I tensed and bit my lip but he wasn't looking at me. I then asked, "Do they have an idea of who it is?" 

He shrugged his shoulders, "I don't know people are giving different descriptions. Even if they found out who it is. That person aint gonna talk." Maybe I will a child is involved now.  

I stood there thinking. Yeah I ran away but it wasn't because I was scared. I just didn't want to talk to the cops about seeing anything. I'm not afraid of being targeted or anything but it's just more stress. I shook my head and lit a cigarette. I can't deal with this now.

I just finished my shift and I was walking home. I then hear a siren behind me. I turned and frowned. Sheriff Jones and Wayne got out. I sighed. I hadn't seen Wayne since that Friday and it was peaceful for me. Well this is small town so what can ya expect? He was glaring at me. I rolled my eyes. I do have to say he looks mighty fine in his uniform. Gotta give him that.