Chapter 16

Chapter 16

It was Monday morning and I was at the mine in the waiting room/container. I was waiting for my supervisor to come see me. I was in casual clothes as I hadn't received my uniform yet. I had given my sizes, but whatever.

After a while a big bellied guy in full uniform came in and greeted me.

"Alicia Miller?" he asked and I nodded. He put his hand out and gave mine to we could shake hands. I looked at him closely and saw he was already sweating.  It's only seven in the morning and this guy is sweating already.

He spoke again, "please to meet you. I've heard a lot about you. The name's Isaac." I'm sure you have.

"So let's get started.  Firstly you're gonna have to come with me before you put on your uniform but could you please put on the helmet and safety vest."

He pointed at the items they were lying on the table and I put them on. He started giving the low down on safety at the mine first. He said because I'm still training I'll be on a 5/2 shift this week. 5 days working 2 days off. I was working morning shift this week and from next week. I'd be working the difficult shifts.

The day really was about training. I met two guys that I would be working with. I didn't recognise them so they weren't from town. Austin was the brown haired and Deacon was blonde. Both of them were well built but were suspiciously too pale for my liking. This is the south people aint that pale. I could see on their faces they didn't want me here. Well you're gonna have to get use to me. 

I got my protective gear and went to change. I didn't like where I had to change. It was dirty. Dust was everywhere. I changed into a jumpsuit and it felt a bit too tight around my chest and ass, wonderful. I hope I'm given a pants and jacket. Jumpsuits restricted me. I put on my safety boots and was satisfied. I had to wear a size smaller as it manufactured to men's size. 

The first training course I had was a video I had to watch about Mine safety. Again? I paid attention and made notes as I realised it was based on this mine specifically. 

It was lunch and I was shown to the lunch room and went to get myself some lunch. I had my tray in my hands and saw people were purposely ignoring me. I saw an empty table oh well what the heck. I sat down and started eating. I can cook better than this but it was free. 

From the corner of my eye I saw two guys sneer at me but ignored them. I subtly looked around I didn't see any familiar faces or a woman yet. These guys aint from town so they don't me. I smirked to myself let the games begin. 

After lunch I was asked to observed Austin and Deacon. I kept a safe distance and kept my mouth tightly shut when I saw they were repairing a hydraulic system incorrectly. After a while it was getting frustrating and I was itching to say something and get involved. Before I could, I was called over and saw an engine that needed cleaning. I just knew it. The grease build up was bad so I guess it needs to be greased again as well.

I sighed and put on my gloves and looked for the toolbox and started dissembling the engine. I had just finished cleaning the parts and was busy assembling the engine back together again when I noticed Austin and Deacon were standing and watching me. 

They had impressed looks on their faces. Austin was nodding his head and winked at me.

"I have to say you're good that really takes some technique to clean that engine." He said.

"Thanks I had a lot practice." I said and he nodded. 

"Well we'll leave you to it and welcome." He said and both of them went back to working.