Pre-Z

—••• • ••—• ——— •—• •

Friends.

What an odd word for a kid who didn't care for social interaction in the slightest, and who'd rather keep the company of a knife instead of an actual human being.

In fact, if it weren't for the state requiring him to go to school and his father needing money to keep them both alive, he'd happily stay in his the entire time just shooting targets across the living room.

But his fantasies weren't reality, sadly, and he instead had to sit throughout eight hours of cramming information into his brain just to then splurge out on a paper every three months.

Can you tell he really enjoyed school?

But that morning was different from all the usual screaming and crashing into lockers with a football being thrown around and the loud music from someone's phone.

That morning, the classroom was dead silent, or as silent as you could keep a room full of ten year-olds. They were all looking at the girl who was jumping by her spot next to the teacher's desk waiting for her to come back with her missing assignments.

The girl looked as comfortable as one could be, even with dozens of eyes on her. She just looked around with a smile, holding her unicorn pencil case against her chest.

Oh, to be that comfortable in the public's eye.

From what he could gather from his seat at the very back, the girl was a transfer student from some fancy private school. Apparently, she had gotten kicked out from at least eight other private schools and no school wanted her anymore.

Which is how she ended in boring old public elementary school.

Just by looking at her, he could tell she was going to be eaten alive by the public school system. After all, teachers weren't really adamant on passing kids even if they got a significant bonus from the parents.

"You like unicorns, new kid?" The class clown known as Avery spoke up, snickering between his pack of followers.

The girl shrugged, holding up her pencil case with her nose scrunched up.

"Not really, the principal just said I couldn't bring my brand-new liver as a pencil case." At that, Avery shut up and sat quietly back in his seat.

He smirked at the back, he really needed to stop judging people by how they looked.

After all, who would believe the tiny girl with fluffy brown pigtails, a bright long pink sweatshirt and some fake diamond encrusted jeans with white light up sneakers could just shut up Avery with one sentence.

"Liver? Gross! Are you crazy?!" The girl at the front shrugged, her nearly black eyes boring into Jasmine's (the resident queen bee) own.

"No, I'm just a self-diagnosed psychopath." The girl grinned as if Jasmine had just understood what the word meant.