The Bridge to Lollingdale

•Y/N: Your Name
•L/N: Last Name

——————————————————
____________________________________
Author's POV:
____________________________________

——————————————————____________________________________Author's POV:____________________________________

____________________________________

The journey had been exhausting, and after having thrown basically every bit of supplies they had during their chase, the three had to stop in another town along the way to their final destination. There, there were king's men prowling all over the place. It had been nerve-racking waiting for Marcy to return to the cart with rations to last them the rest of their trip, but luckily, they were on their way again without altercations. Y/N, especially, was getting nervous the closer they got to the boarder. She wondered if the control guard numbers had increased after her disappearance. It lead to her chewing her nails frequently to ease the anxiety, but Marcy assured her, they'd be going the route less frequently used by travelers, a straight-shot into the kingdom of Lollingdale's capital that resides on a massive cliff.

The only way to reach it was by bridge over a chasm filled with deep, ocean water. They knew they were close when they heard the raging waves echoing from the bottom of it as they splashed against the rocky slopes. The bridge was very long to reach the other side and wide enough to carry two merchant wagons side-by-side. Once vibrant reds and whites that colored it had turned faded in recent years, the paint chipping and peeling from the wear and tear. Marcy stops the cart the moment she spots the guards, remaining out of their sight. There were only two, however, that still posed a problem if either were to recognize the King's runaway bride.

"Now what do we do? We can't very well go to any other crossing. Likely, those are guarded with ten times as many at this point." Y/N nods, knowing that Noah would go to any lengths to keep her from getting too far out of his reach. The fact that there were only two guards here was a miracle. Just then, another carriage strolls up to the bridge from another path and is immediately stopped by the armored guards. After gesturing Marcy and Dallas to watch, they all focus in on their interactions to know what to expect.

"What is the meaning of this?!" Some nobleman bumbles as he's told to leave the carriage.

"Pardon, my lord, but by order of the King, all going into Lollingdale are to be checked for harboring his missing fiancée."

"So, the little brat ran off on him! I don't see what that has to do with me! Do you have any idea who I am?!" The pompous, old man with a mustache and greying, black hair started turning red in his fit as all his belongings were opened up and checked along with the inside of his carriage. "You can't be serious! Don't touch those!"

"Sir, we are just doing our job," the female guard chimes in, only for him to come ripping a large trunk out of her hands that she had pulled from the back.

"Don't you talk to me like some common dolt! These are my things, and you have no right to search them!" In an instant, their swords were drawn and aimed at the man, making them all tense, but Y/N had an idea.