Chapter 7

Y/n gave Rindou a skeptical look. "Did Ran mention anything to you?" She wasn't that taken aback by his question. 

"So you do know someone named L/n Y/n?" He replicated her expression. 

She let out a long sigh. "Look, I do know someone with the same name, as a matter of fact, I'm the one assigned to investigate her death" 

"Investigate...?" Rindou muttered questioningly. 

"Oh, I haven't mentioned it to you? I'm a detective trainee" She explained. "That's the job I mentioned earlier" 

Rindou blinked, his mind blank and mouth agape as thoughts jumbled all across his mind. "So, you've seen what she looks like-?" His tone sounded like a mixture of command and hesitation, Y/n just nodded with a hum.  "Don't you... don't you find it weird how you and her..."

"Look alike? and even has the same name?" She finished his questions and chuckled. "Of course, it was weird at first," She paused. "When I saw her body in the morgue, I thought it was me who died. Not a great experience I tell you that" 

Rindou chuckled with a distant gaze, he wasn't laughing because of her statement, he was laughing at how dumb he felt for hoping that L/n Y/n could still be alive in the form of the girl beside him right now. 

L/n Y/n 

Sakkaku Y/n

He needs to realize that these two people are purely individuals, she was not her and she is not her. It is hard to fully grasp reality when you have longed for an illusion. 

L/n Y/n is dead.

Sakkaku Y/n is alive. 

They are a completely different person, Ran was right, no one can truly be her. But then again, it's not bad to stay in this lie. Is it? 

Rindou watched as Y/n silently laughed when she accidentally tripped while she walked back to him after she threw her empty juice box in the trash bin. 

That scene somehow reminded Rin of the day he and the old Y/n went ice skating. The memory of the way they slipped and wobbled on the ice replayed in his mind. 

While in Sakkaku Y/n's perspective, she just watched as Rin looked down with a smile on his face which ironically had a solitary feeling to them. 

Slowly it was starting to rain, she looked up as she felt the droplets of water in her palms. "Ahh... shit, I don't have an umbrella..." 

She then looked back down to Rindou who was still sitting on the ground, unmoving. "Come on Rin, we'll get soaked if we stay out for too long" 

Rindou stood with a huff. "Yeah..." 

.

.

.

Meanwhile at the Bonten Headquarters...

"Weather's been so weird lately," Kokonoi commented as he stared out the window where the rain aggressively poured. 

Kakucho hummed in agreement as he subconsciously pulled out his phone and directly went to his contacts, only for him to pause as his thumb hovered above Y/n's number. 

Realization hit him and immediately turned his phone off and placed it, screen down, on the table. 

Kokonoi watched him, he was well aware of Kakucho and Y/n's dynamic where Kakucho would always be reminding Y/n to bring an umbrella, like some old married couple.