Chapter 4

Ran wasn't able to fall asleep that night, he just closed his eyes as the sun rose while his mind continuously ate itself from overthinking. 

He can hear Y/n wake up and prepare something in the kitchen, and a few minutes later he pretended as if he just woke up. 

"Goodmorning" Y/n smiled as she placed a beautifully made breakfast for the both of them. "Come and eat, I'm sure you're hungry... especially after what happened last night" 

"What?" He looked at her, almost terrified but he made sure to hide it. "What happened?" 

She chuckled. "You were drunk...?" Y/n then sat down. "Come on, sit. Your body's probably screaming for some food right now" 

"Oh, right" Ran blinked with a relieved sigh, he thought she saw him going through her camera. "I didn't know you can cook" He commented. 

"Oh, no, I don't" She sheepishly smiled. "These are just simple pancakes with fruits, I just made it look good" 

"And it does" Ran smiled while he sat down. "Smells great too, is this made from scratch?" 

"Of course, is that even a question?" She rolled her eyes. "I'm a baker, it would be a disgrace if I use a box mix" 

He laughed at her cockiness. "Yeah, well, let's see if tastes as good as it smells" 

Despite this little act that he's putting up, his senses were absolutely shaken from what he saw earlier, he wanted to know more but was afraid to raise suspicion. 

"Wait, this actually tastes good" He suddenly said, erasing all the worry in his mind as the taste melted in his mouth. 

She smiled and rolled her eyes playfully. "I told you so" She then changed the subject. "Oh, by the way, it's already eight" 

"Hmm? What do you mean?" He asked as he continued to eat. 

"Don't all office workers start at eight?" She questioned.

Ran looked at her with confusion. "Huh? Y/n, I don't work at an office" He said with a raised brow. "You know this" 

"...I do...?" Y/n tilted her head. "But last night you told me something about an office" 

Ran stopped, he forgot this wasn't the Y/n that knows their real jobs. He then chuckled. "I meant, it isn't an office... it's just sort of like it" He wasn't sure what he was saying. 

"I have no idea what you mean, but what I understood is you don't actually work in an office," She said before eating again. 

"How about you, what hours do you work at the bakery?" He asked to change the subject. 

She swallowed her food before speaking. "I usually work through the night, but I asked auntie for a rest day, which is today" 

"Is the shop owner really your aunt?" Ran asked, just casually making small talk. 

Y/n hummed. "Nope, she's a family friend," She explained. "She needed the extra helping hand and so I volunteered" 

"Wait so the baking thing is just your part-time job?" He looked at her with disbelief. "What's your real job then?" 

"I'm a detective" She bluntly replied making Ran choke on his food. "But I'm still a trainee" 

Ran drank the orange juice and slapped his chest as his coughing subsided. "O-oh... a detective huh, that's really cool" 

"I know right-?!" She beamed. "I'm actually working under a well-known policeman, we're currently working on a case-" She then stopped herself. "Oh. Should I be saying this to you?"