Chapter 22

A month had passed since Y/n took Yusano's place in the police investigation department and no one had ever pointed out any changes about 'Yusano'. 

Well, no one except Naoto. 

Y/n can tell he has his suspicion but she also knows Naoto can't really speak up about it, after all, who in their right mind would say that Y/n, a dead person, was standing impersonating his assistant Yusano?

It was quite entertaining from Y/n's perspective, Naoto was doing a lot of weird things to somehow have evidence that she's Y/n and not Yusano. Of course, Y/n did not make any slip-ups, if she did, then her whole plan would be all for nothing. 

"The general's going to be visiting today," Naoto randomly muttered while they were working. 

Y/n hummed with furrowed brows. "The general? Is something up?" 

"I don't know, he's your dad, shouldn't you know?" Naoto raised a brow.

She stared at him. "My dad's the chief, not the general," Y/n knows exactly what Naoto was doing. "Have you forgotten?" 

"Right, the chief, slip of the tongue," Naoto chuckled.

"Well, anyway, why's the chief coming?" She asked. 

Naoto looked at her. "He didn't tell you?" 

"Sir Naoto, the chief may be my dad, but I don't get to know everything about his work, you know this," Y/n said as she placed a mug of coffee on his table. 

"Of course," He took a sip of the coffee. "Must've been the lack of sleep... I've been mixing a lot of things up," 

"I'm starting to think it isn't about the lack of sleep anymore," She jokingly deadpanned. 

"Hey, I heard that-!" He irked making Y/n laugh.

Being Yusano was exhausting, although Y/n and Yusano's personality is quite alike, it's still different to be someone just like yourself than being truly yourself. And if she were going to be honest, the only time she's been herself was her time with Bonten. 

Which was ironic, she wanted to be free from being controlled by the people she was supposed to call family, and yet to get that freedom, she had to drive away the people she felt most free with. 

And why is that you ask? 

It was an agreement between her and her grandfather. 

. . .

You're probably wondering how Y/n was revived after being shot in the heart and was reported dead on arrival by the time she got into the hospital. 

To fully know what happened, we'll have to go back to the day Y/n died; the night of the party.

After General L/n F/n got to the scene and ordered the arrest of his wife; L/n M/n. He immediately looked for his daughter who was still in Kakucho's arms. 

Seeing the pool of blood and the terror in Kakucho's eyes made F/n's blood go cold. F/n knows Kakucho as Y/n's childhood best friend and nothing more, so seeing him acquainted with Bonten was a big confusion to him. 

F/n had a suspicion about M/n's origins but he turned a blind eye for her because he truly loved her, but as time passed by, M/n became more paranoid and controlling, and it affected their family greatly. 

Y/n changed too, she just isn't the way she used to be. He tried his best to make her smile as much as possible, but he knows it isn't enough. He also talked to her, but Y/n just smiled and brushed the topic off.