sixty three

"Congratulations, you're having a little boy!" The doctor finally finishes her sentence and my heart stops from happiness.

"We're having a son?" Lizzie whispers quietly, tears already filling her eyes. I know I'm not better because I feel the wetness near my eyes too.

"Yes. He looks like a very healthy boy. You're 18 weeks long, so you still have 21 more to go. He's growing correctly, so you're still set on January 21st" She confirms and calm our nerves slightly. I still have concerns about the baby, but I can't help the smile on my face.

I'm having a son. I was right the whole time

"W-Wow, it's wow" I breathe out, still can't believe that I'm looking at my son.

"Yeah" Lizzie agrees, looking at me tearfully. I exhale shockingly, bringing her hand to my mouth and placing a lot of kisses all over. She wipes my cheek from tears that has fallen and shares with me an emotional look.

"Alright, I'm done here. I'll have the scans printed for you in a second" The Doctor says and I snap my head back to her.

"Wait, doc" I rush out, stopping her from getting up.

"Yes?"

"I just wanted to... With my condition, it's possible that he can be like me, right?" I ask and she opens her mouth to reply, but I just continue. "Can we do some test to check this? I read that you can do genetic tests to find out if the baby is 100% healthy"

"Well, it's a possibility, for sure. But it's very small chance, I wouldn't be too much worried about that. But of course if you both want, we can do NIPT, which is noninvasive prenatal testing, but it may not give us a full option or we can do reproductive require, which is invasive, but will give us 100% result. In my opinion, NIPT should be enough after I saw the baby on ultrasound" She tells us, using her professional tone as she sits back to her desk and I help Lizzie to wipe her stomach while listening.

I met this woman just a couple of times, but I really liked her. She was a good doctor. Friendly normally, but easily goes into doctor mode when it's needed. Lizzie chose right with her, good person to lead the pregnancy, trustworthy to keep the baby and Lizzie safe.

"Em, what the test required?" I let Lizzie continue the conversation. I may want these tests, but after all it's her body and it's her decision what exam she'll do.

"NIPT only requires a small blood sample from you. Screening tests are done on a small blood sample, which is taken by pricking the baby's heel. So the difference is huge. But like I said, in my professional opinion, NIPT should be fully enough in this situation" She explains to us and once again shares her medical opinion with us. I share a look with Lizzie again and I see her scared expression, which tells me everything I need to know, so I turn to the doctor, letting Lizzie to sit by herself on the couch.

"We'll do the noninvasive test" I decide and Lizzie nods, grabbing my hand for comfort. I lean to kiss the side of her head and rest our hands on my lap.

"Alright, great. We can take the blood sample today and we'll have results in 2 weeks"

We agree to that and an hour later we're leaving the hospital after the blood is taken and we're ready to go back home. I start driving normally like, but when we reach San Diego Freeway, I turn left instead of right.

"Wait, why you turned left? It's not a right way" Lizzie says confused and I shrug my shoulder in response, staying silent. "Perry, what are you doing?"

"We're going somewhere before we go back home, darling. Nothing to worry about" I assure her softly, focusing on the road. It's an easy way until we need to turn back to the city again.