I Promised you

You decided that you would keep your promise to Lydia, the girl who you just met two days before.

You feel as if you've known her forever.

It makes you feel like you could trust her with your life.

And you trust that feeling.

You head back to the park you met that beautiful girl at.

You follow the gravel path, the rocks skipping beneath your feet.

Your eyes scan the trees and bushes for any sign of Lydia.

It seems like she is nowhere to be found.

"Great.Second time i've been stood up this month..." you mutter, slumping down into the wooden bench.

You tap your foot nervously.

She deserves a chance though.

So you decide to give her ten minutes to show, and if she doesn't,you concur that you would leave and probably go home and cry.

If she really did stand you up, it really would hurt you, although you hardly even know her.

The first word she spoke to you, meant so much.

You instantly felt like you both shared a deep connection.

It was a strange feeling.

You had never experienced it with, or even around anyone before.

And here you are, waiting on a complete stranger, alone, in a dark forested park.

You look up and scream, "HOLY FUCK!".

There she is, standing right in front of you casually.

You clap your hand to your chest and regain your breath.

"Jeez!When did you get there?" you ask.

She chuckles, "I have that effect on people.Sorry.".

You sigh, "It's fine...just...give me a warning next time, yeah?".

She nods, sitting down next to you on the bench.

"So, why'd you come?" she asks curiously after a moment.

"What do you mean?" you respond.

"I mean, why did you actually do it?You could have just stood me up and gone on with your life.Why didn't you?" she explains, her voice neutral, showing no anger, nor any sense of sadness.

"Well, because I made a promise to you.And I think you're pretty cool." you answer.

"Hm...interesting...nobody but Barbara and Adam have ever called me that..." she murmurs under her breath.

You cock your head to the side, "Who's Barbara and Adam?".

"Oh, uh, don't worry about that." she responds quickly.

Your eyebrows raise with curiosity.

"Lydia.I know we just met a few nights ago, but you can trust me.I promise." you reassure her.

She looks down at her feet anxiously.

"What's wrong?" you ask, sensing she's worried about something.

She looks back up at you, "I am often too trusting.When I trust, people break me.I have learned from my mistakes, Y/N.".

You smile sadly at her.

"Lydia.If you want, you could call me your friend.And friends don't do that to each other." you say softly.

She takes a long breath before saying, "Thank you, Y/N.Either you are a really good person, or a really good liar.Either way, I feel like I can...trust you." she starts, "How about this...come to my house.It's the one on the hill, up there," she says, guestering to a nice house a few blocks away.

"And meet me there.I'll introduce you.".

"Introduce who?" you ask.

She places a piece of paper with her phone number written on it into your hand.

Then, she stands up and says, "You'll see," before walking away gracefully.