fourty five

"The car is here." Cal announced as he glanced down at his phone with furrowed eyebrows, the handle of his luggage gripped tightly in his other hand. Mia watched as he looked down the road for their Uber as the hustle and bustle that was Heathrow continued on behind them.

The two of them had just come back from a week of visiting their family up in Scotland and had finally, after an unnecessarily difficult plane ride, returned back to London. The week away was supposed to be uneventful, and not just because there was already so little to do back home. More so considering the fact that they had gone to reset and help Mia recover from the events that had taken place with Matt, but it wasn't as easy as she had thought. In hindsight, she regretted thinking it would even be easy in the first place. That was her first mistake.

Matt, naturally being the absolute dickhead that he was, followed her back as soon as he got word of where she was. In her rush to leave London and run away, Mia had forgotten that a friend of Matt's was working at the airport in Edinburgh and soon enough he was on the next flight. It made the trip more of a headache than it was worth but for once she was thankful that Cal was with her. Not only did he make sure Matt wouldn't go near her, but he did seem to find a way to cheer her up a bit.

But Mia couldn't stop replaying that night in her head, it was mostly just a loop of screaming and crying. One memory stood out though, and it was the only one that brought her even the tiniest bit of calm when she'd think back.

"What's going on?" Harry's voice made her heart stop, but it wasn't her that he was talking to.

Cal and Lux had assumed Mia fell asleep, but sleep was the furthest thing from her mind. She was currently laying on Cal's bed whilst doing her best to control her breathing and mostly stop herself from crying. She'd been doing that since Cal told her to go and get some rest.

"Nothing for you to worry about, Boggo." Cal sighed from the other side of the door

"She's my friend too, you know." Harry was growing agitated, Mia could tell without even being in the same room as him that he was annoyed.

"Harry, mate," Lux started, "Nobody is saying she's not your friend. Just leave it for now."

There was a sense of finality in Lux's tone that made Harry not push the topic, much to Lux's relief. Lux was very well aware of Harry's feelings towards Mia, but he also knew how much Mia was hurting tonight. She had specifically asked them not to make Harry aware and Lux knew that. He also knew that for now at least, he needed to respect that.

"I'm going to take a shower, we're going to be heading home first thing in the morning." Cal announced to the two boys with a sigh, rolling his shoulders back as he spoke.

"She's going to Scotland?" Harry asked, a bit more frantic than he'd like to admit, "Again?!"

"We have some, uhm..." Cal paused, "family stuff going on. It was all a bit last minute."

Mia listened as Cal stalked off, probably to take the shower he mentioned. She was trying so hard to listen to their conversation that she realized her breathing was slowed and she wasn't crying anymore.

It was quiet for a few moments until everybody heard the bathroom door shut and the water start running.

"Lux, mate, tell me what the fuck is going on?!" Harry exclaimed in a whisper.

"Mate, just drop it." Lux sighed, but even he knew as he spoke the words that there was no way Harry was about to listen.

"Is she hurt?"