fourty four

tw: mentions of abuse and fighting :(

It was different this time, everything was different. The way he was acting, the things that would set him off, everything about him. Different.

She was different too, though. In the past, Mia had fought back her fair share during their fights, but she felt paralyzed this time. The things that she thought wouldn't upset him, set him off instead. What she had thought she could do without starting a fight, was the exact thing he didn't want her to. It was like trying to walk on eggshells, but with a blindfold on.

Four days. Matt had been in London for four days. And to be quite frank, Mia didn't know how she was going to last another day with him let alone the rest of her life.

It had gotten bad between them before, but not like this. And she knew it was because of what she had said during the holidays, about them breaking up. He was convinced it was London that changed her, and maybe he was right.

Up to this point, she had felt stronger. More secure in herself, not afraid of him. But this was different, she was back into the place she was before, if not worst.

He was talking about how London wasn't right for her, at least not alone. Matt had even told her either she'd move back or he'd transfer his job to London.

Mia couldn't stand the idea of them being together for another second let alone living together full time, which is what he wanted to do.

Currently, he had stepped out take a walk. Mostly out of anger, because he had seen that Cal called her. Mia hadn't expected Matt to have stayed in the city as long as he did, or else she wouldn't have had made the plans with Cal earlier in the week.

Not so much a plan, but she had promised to drop off some important papers to him and he was just calling to make sure she was still planning on coming over. Something she tried explaining to Matt, but it only set him off.

When she watched Matt slam the door behind him as he stormed out of the flat, she immediately shuddered at the sound. But soon after she found herself letting out sigh of relief. It was her first break from him since he had arrived, and regardless of the circumstances she was relieved none the less. Even though she knew that there would be more fighting when he came back, but that would've happened either way.

Mia quickly walked towards the spare room in her flat, where Cal's paperwork was sat on a pile at her desk. It was something she had been meaning to get to him for nearly 2 weeks, just some papers that were included in a package of things her parents had mailed to her. Surely duplicate copies of bank papers his parents wanted him to have because he lost them the last 2 times they sent them, but papers he needed nonetheless. She took her chance with Matt out of the flat, snatching up the big envelope and throwing herself out the door.

She wanted to head over there sooner rather than later because the rain was going to start soon and the walk to Cal and Harry's flat was actually just what she needed. The fresh air and space was enough to calm her down. Even if it wasn't though, she would've needed to get herself together regardless. There was no way she could let Cal see her in that state, it would have been enough to set him off on Matt and that was the last thing she could have handled at the moment.

"You would think at your grown age you'd have some sort of filing system by now." Mia sighed as she walked through the front door of the flat, shrugging off her coat.

"Fair play, I deserved that one." Cal chuckled, shutting the door behind her.

He followed her through the swinging door and into the kitchen, where she placed the envelope on the kitchen counter and tossed her coat onto the couch.