thirty nine

Even when Mia stepped onto the plane, she knew her problems were far from over. Ultimately running away wasn't going to do anything, and at the end of the day she knew that. But that doesn't mean she wasn't going to do it, because she had no idea what else to do. It was either get on a plane or continue to pace around her flat, the one that was getting smaller and smaller by the second. The walls were closing in on her and running away was the first idea that popped into her head, so that was exactly what she did.  

By the time Mia reached her parents house, she saw her older brothers car parked out front. She groaned, initially hoping that no one would be home because she knew that her parents were gone to visit her grandparents for a few days. The last thing she had wanted was anyone to question her decision to come home early, especially when she didn't have a sensible answer herself. 

Her brother, however, could not have cared less that she was there early. He didn't even react, only asking her how her flight had been as she dragged her suitcase through the front door. George didn't even so much as turn his head away from his phone, which he was typing away on from where he sat comfortably on the couch. 

"Y'alright?" He mumbled, glancing up at her briefly before turning back down to his phone as Mia hung up the coat she had been wearing, shaking off the rain droplets from it. 

Mia huffed out some sort of acknowledgment whilst she kicked off her boots, pushing her suitcase to be sat against a wall as she walked deeper into her parents house, still in a sleepless daze. She rolled her eyes at her brother, asking him what he was doing there instead of at his own flat out in Glasgow. 

"Mum told me if I came she'd make some food before they left for grans, so I just decided to stay until after Christmas. Could say the same to you though, Cal called this morning."

Mia's widened as she froze, "What did he say?"

Had Harry told him about the kiss? Surely not, Harry would have to be an idiot to do that. He would be on the receiving end of an angry Cal, so what would even be the point? 

"He was proper fuming, I'd actually hate to be you once he arrives." George chuckled, shooting her what she would consider the closest thing to a sympathetic look that her brother was capable of mustering.

Mia let out a loud sigh, knowing he was right. She had shut off her phone before getting on the plane and hadn't turned it on since. Between the loads of messages she knew she'd be getting from Cal and the possibility of anyone else reaching out, she just wanted to shut the world away for a short while. Which, in hindsight, a plane ride was perfect for. 

She had headed upstairs to her old bedroom, lugging her suitcase behind her as she huffed and puffed on her way up. Within minutes of being back in her old room, she had absolutely knocked out on her bed, convinced she'd sleep through the whole week. Though she wasn't quite sure if it was the lack of sleep or the possibility that she could just sleep her way through everything and she'd wake up and things would be magically resolved, but Mia was practically in a coma. 

That was how Mia spent her next few days, curled up in bed as her thoughts ran wild. Luckily for her, her parents weren't coming home until Saturday and her brother was off doing whatever he does. Mia felt guilty about not telling Matt she was back early, but she needed time to process everything and he was among the last people she wanted to see. They had plans to see each other Friday night, because that was the day Mia was supposed to fly in with Cal originally, so she figured it would be best if she just saw him then.