thirteen

When Mia woke up that morning, she was alone. Which was weird considering the fact that when she fell asleep the night before, there was someone in bed beside her. 

The sunlight peaked through her bedroom curtains, shining brightly on her face as she stirred awake from a deep sleep. As she stretched her arms out, the ensuite door opened and Matt walked out- sending a smile her way once he noticed she had woken up. 

"Morning." He mumbled, a grin playing on his lips as he dove back onto the bed. 

Mia giggled as her boyfriend laid in front of her on his stomach, his chin resting on her chest. 

"Morning." She grinned back.

"What time are we supposed to beheading out tonight, again?" He asked casually, referring to the triple date they had planned with Freya, Josh, Simon, and Talia. 

"We're meeting there at 7, so half past 6 probably." She explained as he nodded, taking in her answer. 

As she told him about the restaurant, Mia reached over to her end table and picked up her phone to check the time. It was half past 11, which had become quite normal for her since living on her own.

"I have an idea." Matt said suddenly, looking up at her from the position he was laid in.

"What is it?" She smiled, waiting for his answer.

"Well," He started, "What if we cancel tonight."

She raised her eyebrows at him before moving herself in a sitting position, leaning against her headboard.

"What do you mean?" She asked confused.

"The dinner, let's just cancel it or not go. I don't want to spend my night with a bunch of strangers, Mia. I want to be with you."

"Matt..." She started softly, careful not to start a fight, "These are my friends. I want you to meet them, I want them to meet you." 

"I know but," He said, rolling over onto his back, "I just can't be asked today to be honest."

"Yeah, well I couldn't be asked to go to those work parties or out for drinks with your buddies but I still went." She said bitterly, shocked that he was trying to get out of something that was clearly so important to her. 

"Okay but-"

"And plus, you owe me! You couldn't be asked to go to my brothers birthday dinner or my dads barbecue or my mums art show!"

"Mia-" He said annoyed, clearly growing angrier with every word coming out of her mouth.

"No, Matt. You can't do this. You won't." She stated before throwing the comforter off of her body and swinging her legs onto the floor as she got up from bed. 

"Fine, I'll go to the stupid dinner." Matt scolded, practically growled. 

"Good." Mia stated dryly, heading over to grab her dressing gown and headed out the door and towards the kitchen. 

The rest of the day was spent in awkward silences, every time they'd be able to move past it and start a conversation they would break out into another fight. It would go back and forth between Matt complaining about every little thing that she did to Mia intentionally pushing his buttons every time he got on her nerves. 

By the time it was half past 6, the two were ready to leave. Both dressed up and standing around, neither was even speaking to the other until Mia broke the silence. 

"Let's go, the ubers downstairs." She muttered as she grabbed a jacket and tossed him her keys. She didn't even wait for him as she walked out the front door and towards the lift.