nine

There were many things Mia Stone hated to wake up to. 

She hated waking up early on a Saturday to the sound of an alarm she had forgotten to turn off, she hated waking up to the sound of her boyfriends incessant snoring during the middle of the night, and she hated waking up to the sound of her phone ringing for it just to be a telemarketer. 

But there was nothing she hated more than waking up to a massive hangover.

"Oh fuck.." She groaned out as the sunlight trickled into her flat. Her hand immediately went up to the side of her head, as if holding it there would ease the pain she was feeling throughout her entire body. She reached over to the table beside her sofa and grabbed her phone, checking the time. 

11:03 AM

Her body ached in every way imaginable, quite literally from her head to her toes. Her feet throbbed from the heels she had spent the night dancing in and her back had ached after spending the night sprawled out on her couch. 

She looked around slowly, making sure not to move her head too fast just incase it would make her nauseous. She noticed she was alone in the living room, but she saw Harry's keys and wallet on top of the coffee table, meaning that he was still there.

Mia slowly lifted herself up, noticing there was a blanket on top of her and a pillow where her head was just moments before. She recognized them as the spares she kept in her hall closet, figuring that Harry must have pulled them out for her the night before. She stumbled through her flat and ended up in the doorway of her own bedroom, taking in the sight in front of her. 

Harry was laid on top of Mia's bed, fully dressed in the clothes he wore the night before, fast asleep on top of the covers. He didn't have any blankets on  him leading Mia to believe he was so tired he had probably passed out. 

She sighed quietly and groggily went to the living room. Walking up to the couch that she had just spent the night sleeping on, she picked up the warm blanket that was there before heading back to her bedroom and softly placed the blanket on top of the sleeping boy. The same boy who had spent his night taking care of her in her drunken state. Even though she tried to be as gentle as possible when placing the blanket on top of him so she wouldn't wake him, as soon as the blanket touched his skin he stirred in his sleep, before getting comfortable and melting into the blanket. He was clearly freezing. 

Once she saw that he was comfortable and warm, she headed back out and quietly shut the door behind her so he could get some well deserved rest. 

After finishing her morning routine, which mostly entailed using any hangover cure she could find, Mia settled back down onto her couch. She aimlessly scrolled through her phone, trying to distract herself from the pulsing headache she had.

In the middle of typing out a message she wanted to send to Talia, her phone started to ring, 

Incoming Call: Matt

When she said she wanted a distraction, she didn't mean this. Part of her didn't want to answer, out of fear he'd start an argument and that would only lead to a bigger headache. But part of her knew that if she didn't answer, he'd throw a fit that would never end.

"Hey, good morning." She said quietly into the phone, being extra careful to not wake up Harry in the next room.

"Morning babe, you alright?" He said on the other end of the line, his calm voice bringing a wave of calm to Mia's body. 

"Yeah, yeah, just a bit hungover. How've you been?" She asked.

"Tired from work and that, you know the same old same old. How was your night out?"