thirty seven

By the time the two reached their room, a weird silence had come over them. It wasn't necessarily too awkward, though it should have been. With Cal managing to cause yet another interruption, Harry had stayed on the phone with him to see what it was that he wanted as they rode in the lift, ending the call moments before they reached their room. Mia stood quietly beside him the whole time, avoiding Harry's attempts to sneak glances at her.

She looked so small, distant, as she walked beside him through the corridors. Small, and overcome with guilt. Mia didn't know what had come over her, and she was scared to think what would have happened if Cal hadn't called at that exact moment.

Mia stood behind Harry, watching him quietly tap the key card against the reader and pushing the door open before he moved to stand to the side to allow her to walk in first. She mumbled a quick 'thank you', before walking over towards the corner of the room where her case was wide open.

She placed her purse gently down on top of the bed she had claimed the day before, the one closest to the window, before kneeling down and rummaging through her case. She probably should have been looking for something to wear to bed, but she was just doing it aimlessly to look like she was busy when the truth was she couldn't even think straight

Harry walked into the room slowly, taking his time closing the door behind him . He felt like he was in a daze the way everything happened so fast. He was frustrated and didn't even know where to start. For starters he was annoyed at Cal, for reasons so obvious even the dumbest person in the world would have figured it out. Even more so, he was angry at himself.

He had known his goal. For months. He was going to go about things the way they needed to be gone about. The plan was simple, really. Lay down his ground slowly, start showing Mia that he was there and there to stay. While his flirty comments were sometimes a little too out there, they were there for a reason. Next, he was going to figure out why she wouldn't leave that dickhead boyfriend of hers. A question that he had asked around, only to realize that no one really knew. Not Cal, not even Talia.

Whenever he would ask Cal, bringing it up as casually as possible, he would only be met with a small shrug and a string of profanities. Talia would only reply with 'why do you want to know?', a question that Harry didn't want to answer. Not to Talia at least. He feared that if Mia knew what he was up to before it was time, she would just tell him off. And he cared too much about her to let his plan fall anywhere less than perfect.

Harry had never felt this way about someone, let alone someone so out of reach. He wanted everything with her, but she was still so out of reach. And that was why he couldn't afford to mess up his plan. He knew full well that he wouldn't put this sort of work in for any other girl, not by a long shot, but Mia was worth it. And he was so sure that she felt the same, how could she not? A connection like that just simply isn't one sided. That was why he wasn't going to give up, because he couldn't stand seeing her in the arms of someone else. Especially Matt.

He watched as she was scrambling around the contents of her suitcase, squeezing his eyes shut for a brief moment out of frustration. He let out an unintentionally loud sigh as soon as he opened his eyes, watching as she froze at the sound of his presence.

"I'm going to go take a shower." He announced, his voice drained as he spoke.

"Uhm... O-okay." Mia stuttered out awkwardly, not turning to look at him.

She waited a few moments until she heard the door close and the water start to run, before she herself let out a loud, frustrated sigh. What had she done. What was she about to do.

The truth of it was that she would have kissed him. And she hated herself for it. And she hated herself most of all because she had wished she could have kissed him, that part of her was angry with Cal for ruining the moment.