twenty two

"Did you make the bed?" Mia asked loudly, making sure that Matt could hear her from the other side of the flat.

Mia, who was currently looking in the mirror of her bathroom trying to fit the back of her left earring into the piercing that was on the bottom of her ears, was expecting her guests to arrive at any moment. Once she snapped her earring shut, she picked up her lip stick to apply one last layer and take a final look at herself in the mirror. She had decided on wearing the flowy dress, she figured she would move around easier in it and it would just overall be the most comfortable.

"Yeah I did, is there anything else I could do?" Matt said, not as loudly as Mia, as he stood in the doorway behind her.

Mia rubbed her lips together to even out the lipstick she had just applied before making a popping sound and took one final look at herself before her eyes darted slightly to the right, where she saw the reflection of her boyfriend in the mirror. Matt was wearing black skinny jeans and a light blue button up, just like Mia had told him to.

"You clean up nice." She smiled, turning around and leaning her back onto the bathroom vanity as she looked him up and down.

"Thanks, my personal assistant picked out my outfit." He winked playfully, teasing her.

"Well she's got quite the fashion sense if I do say so myself." Mia giggled, shaking her head slightly as she let out a sigh of relief. Everything was ready, everything was perfect.

"So how long until your friends get here?" He asked, leaning his shoulder onto the frame of the doorway.

"Probably in 10 or 15 minutes," She said, glancing at the time on her phone. Matt nodded as he moved towards the living room to sit on the couch, with Mia following in toe.

"Matt, please be nice tonight." Mia begged, desperate for him to make a good impression after the mess of a dinner the last time he was there.

"I will, I will!" He exclaimed, putting both his hands up in surrender.

"Especially to the boys, I swear I would never want to get with any of the boys coming tonight and they're practically repulsed by me. So don't start anything with any of them." Mia said, giving him a pointed look.

"Okay, okay, fine. Best behaviour, promise!" Matt said sincerely, offering his pink out to signal a pinky promise.

"And no arguing with Talia. I don't care what she says, avoid her if you must." Mia said firmly as she interlocked their pinkies

"Fine." Matt grumbled, crossing his arms over his chest as he pouted.

"And Cal." She said, again giving him a pointed look as he opened his mouth to fight back with her.

"Come on Mia, don't make me be nice to that prick!" Matt groaned, throwing his head back annoyed.

"Nope, it's non-negotiable. You have to get along with all of them, including Cal."

"Fine." Matt pouted, similar to a small child, sinking down into the couch with an annoyed expression on his face.

Within the next hour, all the guests had arrived. Mia purposely didn't invite too many people, wanting it to be intimate enough for everyone to get to know Matt but still crowded enough that people could do their own things. The music was loud, the drinks were flowing, and everyone seemed to be having a good time.

Sipping on her vodka lemonade, Mia was laughing and chatting with her friends and felt genuinely at ease. Maybe it was her friends, maybe it was the alcohol, or maybe it was the fact that the party was almost over and for the first time no one had asked her what was wrong with her boyfriend.