Chapter 30: The Car Crash

The ideal man bears the accidents of life with dignity and grace, making the best of circumstances.

-Aristotle

A FEW HOURS EARLIER BEFORE THE ACCIDENT...

Leila Fiorenza's POV

I light knock sounded on my door. I turned around to see my twin barged in with a ready smile on her face. She slightly frowned when she saw me fully dressed. "You're going out?"

I smiled at her while moving further inside my room. I checked my appearance at my dresser mirror to see add finishing touches. "Yeah, I'm going to visit Rafe. I think while waiting for my husband to pick me up here-that is-if he still wants me. I owe Rafe a personal apology for what I did to him the eve of our wedding."

Laila sat on my bed and studied me for a moment. She crossed her legs regally, an epitome of a refined lady. She met my gaze through the reflection of the mirror. "You have some point there, Signora Salazar. Do you want me to accompany you when you go to the Moretti residence?"

I turned around to look at her. "I'm a grown woman, Mrs. Pallis," I said with a slight smile on my face. She's a dependable sister one might wish to have. I'm grateful to have her as my twin. "I can take good care of myself. I need to do this alone. I don't need my dutiful twin to save my ass in this mess I created all by myself."

She snickered with amusement in her eyes. "If Patri hears you using the word 'rear' so casually I'm sure you'll get another set of lectures on how a lady should speak."

I waved my hand, brushing off her warning. I sat at my dresser chair, mimicking her posture. "Patri should accept by now that his other daughter is untamable. She grew up with such rebelliousness and a foul mouth."

"Are you sure that woman is untamable?" My twin sister asked saucily. "From what I see she's been tamed by a certain someone. And that certain someone is her husband isn't that right?"

"You are too astute for your own good, Signora."

She shrugged casually. "Well, it's what I see, Leila. You are fallen from your Spanish hunk husband and you are denying the fact."

I chuckled. "Watch your mouth if I were you, dear sister. Your husband might hear you calling my husband a 'Spanish hunk' you do know that he gets jealous easily. You don't want to see that green-eyed monster rear its head, right?"

Laila laughed merrily, her eyes sparkled with love for Nikos Pallis. "Then we have to keep this a secret from him. Besides, he's not here at the moment. He's in Rome celebrating he's a good friend birthday party. I already miss him."

I was silent for a moment. Seeing my twin so happy with her married life makes me wonder why I didn't have that kind of state of happiness with Leandro. I guessed because it has something to do with the fact that they were both so in love with each other while we are not. Laila is lucky to find such a man who loves her with all of his heart.

"What's wrong?" Laila asked after the long silence inside my room.

I tried to give her a reassuring smile. "Nothing. I just realized that you deal with married life with such ease while I suck at it. Maybe some things aren't meant to be for me unlike you, my dear sister."

"Oh..." Compassion showed in my twin's eyes. She stood from the bed and hugs me. "That's not true. You too can have a happy married life with your husband if you two will just learn how to open your heart to each other. Nikos knew even the darkest fear I have. I was insecure with a lot of things on the first few weeks of our marriage and Nikos is like my anchor, my safe harbor and I was to him."