Chapter 66

I washed my face, packed my bag, and grabbed my green blanket just in case I needed it. I was about to leave my room, but I went back to my desk. I put the picture in my bag, and we headed out. I didn't really talk most of the ride and neither did the guys.

We finally arrived super late that night. Like a good 3:00 am the next day. We stayed at the rundown old motel from when my dad picked me up, except this time, they got conjoined rooms. I got a bed in the one room and the guys each got a bed in the other side. In the late morning we would go check out my old house. I had a hard time falling asleep. I kept trying to think of any places I was told I wasn't allowed to go. It was probably around 6:00 am before I finally fell asleep.

My dad woke me up around 10:30. I went into the shower and took quite a while since I was so tired. Once I got out and was dressed, we headed over to my old house.

When we arrived, we went up to the front door.

"You sure about this Alex? You gonna be ok?" My dad asked before we rang the bell.

"Yeah. I'll be ok." I said. We rang the doorbell and a pretty lady came to the door. She was of average height with long, dark brown hair, and had beautiful hazel eyes. As she opened the door, a little boy, no older than 7 peeked from around her legs.

"You must be Sam, Dean, and Alex?"

"Yes ma'am." My dad said

"Come on in. Excuse our mess." She said as she stepped aside and let us in. "So tell me again, what are you looking for?"

"We think that Alex's parents had a bunch of birthday cards, Christmas cards, and letters that we had sent her. They never let Alex see them, and now Alex wants them. We think they hid them."

"I didn't see them if they left them in the open. You are more than welcome to look around wherever you think they would have put them."

"Thank you." We said.

"So, Alex, do you know of anywhere they could be?"

"I don't know. There's a couple places they told me not to go, but otherwise I have no clue. They told me not to go into their room, and not to go into the attic. That's all I can think of."

"Ok. We'll start there." My dad said. My dad and I went into the attic while Dean searched the master bedroom. The attic was stuffy and hot. There were a bunch of boxes, but not one small enough to be holding the cards. We opened all the boxes anyway. We spent a good hour up there, and found nothing. We went back down covered in cobwebs and sweat. The lady who owned the house offered us some water and we took it. Dean came down not too long after and told us he had no luck.

"Those are the only places I can think of. I guess they got rid of them." I said sadly

"I'm sorry Alex." I nodded. We were headed towards the door when I remembered one last place I was told not to go.

"Wait, I thought of one more place." I said as I ran to the living room. In the back of the fireplace, there was a hidden cabinet type of thing. I was told it would burn me if I opened it so I never did. It was fireproof, I could tell that much, so if they were there, they were safe. I bent down and looked at the cabinet- why someone would put a cabinet there, I have no idea. Against what I was told as a kid, I opened it.

Inside was a shoebox. It was filled to the brim. I carefully pulled it out.

"Wow. Who the heck thinks to put a cabinet in a fireplace?" The lady asked

"I don't know." I replied as I took the lid off. Inside was a huge pile of cards and letters from my dad, my mom, and Dean.

"Dad, it's all the cards and letters. Look." He crouched down so he could see them better.