Chapter 30

I texted him.

'Hey Dean? I want to talk to you about something.'

'Yeah, what's up kiddo?'

'First, why didn't you stop my dad from sending me back here. I thought you more than anyone would want me to stay. You are always there for me even when my dad is pissed and I feel kind of betrayed.'

'I tried, but I couldn't change his mind. Plus, it's not my choice. You're his daughter. I'm not betraying you, it's just not my choice.'

'I just wish you guys could understand that it's more than just I like being with you guys and that he is my dad.'

'What do you mean?'

'I know my dad said they love me and are protecting me, but they don't love me. They don't make me feel like a daughter. They make me feel like I'm just some person staying in their house. I don't know how to explain it. They don't understand me, and at school, I'm always the outcast. That's partly why I wanted so badly to feel at home with you guys. I never felt like I had a true loving family until I met my dad. You guys love me and I love you too. It's miserable being anywhere else.'

'I understand how you feel. I'm sorry. It's just safer for you there. Sam couldn't live with himself if you died on his watch. And I don't know if I could either.'

I didn't respond due to the fact I was crying so hard that I could no longer read the screen on my phone.

'I'm really sorry Alex. It's what is best for you to be safe, and this way, you can have a normal life that you deserve. I'm really sorry though.'

'Yeah' I responded, and left it at that.

I started back to school that next day. It had been long enough to where I was just starting the school year over. I didn't really care though. I flew through the work for most of my classes, and walked home like I always did. Then, things went majorly wrong.