Chapter 8- The Deserter

Katara walks towards a poster on the kiosk, present in the middle of a crossroad. "This should give us a good idea of what's around here."

Sokka flips a small pouch to find it empty aside from a few crumbs. "See if you can find a menu, I'm starving!" He wipes his mouth.

"I bet we'll find something to eat here," Aang says pointing at the poster. "The Fire Day's Festival." Aang begins reading-out the poster. "Fire Nation cultural exhibits, jugglers, benders, magicians..." he turns to Katara. "This would be a great place for me to study some real firebenders."

Sokka and I are at another poster on the other side of the kiosk. "You might wanna rethink that. Look at this."

Aang comes over to the poster. "Hey, a poster of me!"

"A wanted poster." I huff in frustration. "This is bad."

Aang removes the poster from the wall and starts reading it.

Katara stares at the wanted poster. "I think we better keep moving."

Aang looks at Katara." I have to learn firebending at some point and this could be my only chance to watch a master's up close."

Katara is swayed by Aang; while her head is bowed. "I guess we could go check it out."

Sokka moves in front of Katara; in an opposing tone. "What? You wanna walk into a Fire Nation town where they're all fired-up with their ... you know, fire?"

I hold Katara's arm. "We'll wear disguises and if it looks like trouble, we'll leave."

Sokka let's out a few grunts, but he follows along anyways.

We stopped walking down the hill as Aang turned to Appa and Momo. "You guys stay out of sight here while we go to the festival." He then turns to Katara, Sokka and I. "Ready disguises!"

The siblings and I put on black cloaks while Aang pulls his orange shawl over his head with a smile on his face making him look ridiculous.

"It's like you're a whole different person." Sokka sarcastically says.

"Let's go!" We entered the gate to the festival as we noticed all the citizens wearing masks.

"I think we need some new disguises." I point out.

"Where are we gonna get masks like that?" Sokka grunts.

"Get your genuine Fire festival masks here!" A mask dealer shouts.

We sprint over to the mask dealer as we all pick out our own masks.

I observe Sokka and Aang's mask. Sokka had blue smiling mask with petals around the rim, and Aang who choose a red mask with a frown on it.

I remove Sokka's mask revealing him to be frowning, and Aang's mask, revealing him to be the one smiling. I place Sokka's original mask over Aang's face and Aang's over Sokka. "Much better."

As we begin to walk, Aang shrieks. "Hey! There's some food."

Sokka dashes over to the food vendor as he talks to the shop keeper. "What do you have?"

"Flaming fire flakes. Best in town."

Sokka immediately grabs them, gobbling down the fire flakes, but has a spasm from the spiciness. "Oh, Hot! Hot!"