CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

-Zylan-

Everyone kept coming to me and wishing me a happy birthday but I only wanted to hear it from a special someone. Zylith. I impatiently waited for her to come downstairs but she didn't.

"Hey! Zylan Brother!"

My face dropped when I realized who it was. Antonio Dias, an annoying fool I really didn't want to see. I sighed and turned around, faking a smile.

"Hey, Antonio," he forcefully pulled me into a hug while I rolled my eyes and Benjamin laughed. I was only being nice to that jerk because our fathers were business partners. If not for that, I wouldn't have hesitated to make him my punching bag.

"Who is that beauty," he gawked. I turned around and saw who he was talking about.

"That's Zylith," his friend answered, "don't tell me you don't know her."

They scoffed and mockingly laughed at him.

"Why wouldn't I know?" he raised his brows, "I was only trying to tease Zylan," he smirked.

"Wow," he laughed, "I have always known that you were dumb but I didn't know that you were a fucking dimwit. How could you get your stepsister pregnant?" he laughed. I clenched my jaw and made a fist out of anger as Benjamin gestured me to calm down.

"That's enough Antonio," Benjamin warned.

Zylith and Judy walked toward us, making us stop our conversation midway before I could blast at that raccoon.

"Hi guys," Judy waved.

"Hi," they waved back.

"You must be Zylith," Antonio cut to the front and smiled at Zylith, totally ignoring my presence.

"Seems like everyone knows my name now," she awkwardly laughed and ignored the hand he had offered to her. I scoffed at him and looked away, putting my hands in my pockets.

"I wonder how you managed to get a girl as beautiful as her. You don't deserve her at all," he laughed.

Zylith raised an eyebrow at him and gave him a 'wtf' look.

"Who deserves me if he doesn't?" she asked.

"Someone better. Someone like-"

She interrupted him and said, "if you were about to say yourself, then you are lying. To both yourself and all of us here. I don't even hang out with people of your caliber. Have you seen how short you are?"

Antonio's friends laughed at him and then stopped when he glared at them.

"Have a good time at the party," she smiled and took my hand, pulling me away from the group. She always called me mean but she was meaner if that's a word. Nonetheless, I felt grateful for having her by my side. I loved the way she stood up for me when that moron talked down on me.

"Who is that jackass?" she asked.

"He is the son of one of dad's friends," I sighed.

"So annoying. I don't like him already," she scrunched up her nose as if disgusted.

I chuckled and said, "You look so beautiful tonight. Don't let Antonio ruin your mood. Take everything he says with a pinch of salt. He's just some raccoon."

She laughed and nodded, "Why doesn't your cake have candles like a normal birthday cake?"

"That's childish."

"No," she shook her head, "you are just lame."

"Do you seriously expect a 23-year-old who will probably run companies in the near future to have candles on their cake?" I raised a brow at her.

She grinned and said, "you have a point but I still want to argue with you anyway."

"Seems like you miss being yelled at," I smirked.

"Hmm," she mumbled, "maybe I do like it when you yell at me sometimes," she admitted and I laughed.

-Zylith-

I was so lost in thought that I didn't even realize that it was time to cut the cake. Judy slightly elbowed me and whispered, "What are you doing standing there? Zylan is calling you to cut the cake with him."

"Oh," I sharply exhaled and walked to where he was. He had refused to have candles put on his cake and have people sing him the birthday song because to him, it was childish.

"Just like always, I'm going to count to 4 and you shout HAPPY BIRTHDAY whilst he cuts the cake!" Mr. Rodriguez announced with his lively voice.

Zylan picked the cake knife up from the table and told me to hold it with him. I put my hand on top of his and smiled when I saw that he was also wearing the promise ring he had bought earlier.

"1...2...3...4, GO!"

We cut the cake as everyone shouted, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" and cheered.

For the rest of the party, Zylan clung on to me like he was my purse or something. I hated it when people did that to me but not him.

"Zylan go away. You're making me feel hot," I complained.

"Fine then. I'll just go and talk to that girl over there since you don't want me."

I ignored him, thinking he was joking but he wasn't. He actually walked up to her and started talking to her. She smiled at him and replied to whatever he was saying.

I sighed and walked up to them and pulled him away from her.

"What are you doing?" He jokingly scowled at me.

"I didn't expect you to actually go," I frowned.

"But you told me to."

I sharply sighed and looked anywhere but at him, "sometimes girls don't mean what they say. You don't actually have to listen to everything we say..."

He looked at me and laughed, "I know. I just wanted to see you get jealous." I sighed and flatly stared at him.

After the party, he begged me to spend a night in his room. I tried to refuse but he insisted and since it was his birthday, he made that an excuse to get whatever he wanted.

I laid down next to him, looking him straight in the eyes even though we couldn't clearly see each other in the pitch black room which was only getting bits of light from the moon. He put his hand on my head and gently stroked my hair.

"Thank you for today and the birthday gift."

I smiled to myself as I thought about what I got him. It was a gift bundle that had a blue tie in it, a watch and other things.

Getting him a birthday gift was pretty hard because he had everything. Luckily, he loved what I got him and his favorite thing of them all was the keychain that had some romantic words written on it.

"You're welcome," I smiled.

"Though I should actually be thanking you for coming into my life." He always knew how to sweep me off my feet with his words.

"I love you," he whispered and came closer to me, pecking my lips.

"I love you too," I replied as I smiled at him. He then sighed and turned to face the ceiling.

"This was the best birthday I've had," he sounded troubled but couldn't say it directly to me.

"What about your other birthdays?"

"The people I wanted to spend it with were never there for me."

I wondered what he meant because Daniel and aunt Jessie had always been by his side. I couldn't quite grasp what he meant because if it was his mom, it seemed like he resented her.

Still, I placed my head on his hard chest and snuggled up into his arms, "with me around, you are going to have the most mind blowing birthdays," I joked. He chuckled and kissed me on the forehead before continuing to stroke my hair.