CHAPTER FOUR

-Lucas-
I followed her outside. I called her name but got no reply. She hadn't changed at all. She was still the short tempered Zylith I knew.

"Z, come here," I walked towards her and pulled her into a hug.

"I just don't understand her. Why get me a step father as if I asked for one," she cried. I waited for her to cry and cool down a bit before I could talk.

"Listen to me Z. It's been 5 years since your father passed away. Your mother needs to move on and start all over again," I explained.

"You and I both saw how messed up she was for years. It would be selfish of you to just consider your feelings in this matter. Think about your mom. She's always put you first."

She sniffed and got out of my grip.

"I'm sorry I just got too emotional," she sniffed as she wiped her tears, "To be honest, I don't really have a problem with her getting married again. I might learn to live with it but I can't learn to live with it if it's that man," she then looked up at me, face stained with mascara.

I took my handkerchief and wiped her face.

"Why don't you like him? He seems like a great guy."

"It's Zylan he-" she stopped midway.

"What about Zylan?" I continued wiping her face.

"Nothing," she looked away. "I just don't like him."

"That's sus," I raised an eyebrow at her. "Are you hiding something from me Zylith?" I asked. "Is he your boyfriend or your ex or something?"

"Quit bombarding me with questions, there's nothing. I just don't like him," she nonchalantly replied, taking the handkerchief from my hand and wiping her face.

"And thank God I met you today. I don't know what would have happened," she tried to change the subject.

"I will always be there for you," I hugged her one more time before we started walking back in.

"Where have you been anyway. You haven't even been picking my calls you moron," she smacked the back of my head making me chuckle.

"I have been busy with work," I replied. She scoffed and looked away imitating what I had just said in a funny voice.

-Zylith-

I was about to scold Lucas more about how off he had been lately when I saw someone walking towards us. My heart skipped a beat for a moment. Who's heart wouldn't? He was tall, sexy and smelt good plus, he was the man who took my V-card. I don't know if I'm weird for still feeling something for someone who was likely to become my stepbrother.

"Snap out of your thoughts Zylith! That's the moron who only used you for a one-night stand," I thought to myself.

His presence snapped me out of my thoughts. I looked up at him, our eyes meeting, and just stayed quiet, standing beside Lucas.

"Any problem?" Lucas broke the silence between us.

"Not at all. I just want to have a word with Zylith," he spoke in a serious tone. I wasn't ready to face him, how was he even expecting me to talk to him?

"You can start talking," Lucas said.

"I want to talk to her not you," Zylan argued.

"I'm her best friend. I can stay if I want to," they argued back and forth until I summed up all my courage and exhaled.

"Please excuse us for a minute Lucas," I said to Lucas who looked at me in disbelief. Zylan glared at Lucas with a satisfied smirk on his face as Lucas walked back into the restaurant. It was clear to me that they hated each other already.