70| (GOOD) NEWS AND WINE

The fifth of December finally arrived. I looked into the mirror as I slipped on the coral bridesmaid dress. I fixed my lipstick, hoping it won't spread as Amanda sneaked in without knocking.

"Whoa! Manners!" I said as she held on to my arm with a hopeful twinkle in her eyes.

"I am so excited!" She said, looking way more pretty than me in the bridesmaid dress. Too late, I couldn't bail out now.

Since Kris introduced Amanda to the family over wedding rehearsals, we were getting along as 'friends'. Based on our terrific history, I suspected it would last only a few days. Surprisingly, it survived longer.

"How do I look?" Amanda asked me, and I rolled my eyes.

"Are you kidding me? Can't you see you look like a splitting image of Marilyn Monroe!" I said, and she pouted.

"She was blonde! I am amber!" She said, and I facepalmed.

I wasn't going to debate and tell her that Marilyn Monroe was initially a brunette.

"You look beautiful. There. I said it!" I said as I adjusted the drapes of the dress. It sure was one heck of a bridesmaid costume with the fishnets and the fluffy Cinderella skirt! Everything at the wedding was supposed to be minimalistic except this bloody dress!

"You think so! You look pretty too!" Amanda said, giving me the nicest smile she could. Wow. I needed time to get used to that.

"You said 'too'... It feels like you were forced to say it." I said, and she shook her head.

"Okay. Let's get going. We need to check on the bride!" I said as I reached for the Wedding Prep Register I prepared. I was curious to see how mom looked in her wedding dress. I didn't go shopping and hardly had time to chat with her the entire week. If it weren't for Will, we couldn't arrange everything in time. Speaking of which, I wondered how he looked in his creamé tuxedo. Well, he fucking did the dress code himself! It wasn't as if I was dying to see him in formals. It's been a long while since we talked.

#

"Look out, bridesmaid coming through!" I said as I walked passed a group of kids.

Ugh, weddings! I was tired of pacing up and down the lawn with a dress that made it impossible to walk without tripping every five minutes.

I reached for the door to the Ladies' Room. Mom hadn't been out ever since we reached the lawn. Everything was as she planned: a wedding in outdoors, every single friend of hers was there, and Ron was waiting for her on the other end of the aisle!

"Mom! You need to get out. Five minutes to go." I said, knocking on the door.

"I can't. I can't!" She screamed from the inside.

"Mom! Don't panic. It's going to be alright. We are all here. Everything is great. Come on!" I said, practically yelling over the door.

"You think so?" She said, opening the door an inch as she crept from the sides.

"Yup. Will you get out, or let me in, first?" I asked, trying to remain calm.

She wore an off-white silk dress, that hugged her womanly features, puffed sleeves with the unusual long veil. Her freckles hid well underneath the makeup. The fabric shined under direct light, and I couldn't help but admire her as one of the most beautiful women I had the privilege of knowing, and being born to. Hands down, mom looked like a princess. Her face paled.

It's her wedding Eva. She can be shit scared. I remind myself.  I would be shit scared if I were marrying Ron! I let out a sigh, as she let go of the door. I stepped in to find a bottle of 90's Wine. Whoa!