53 | SMALL THINGS

When Will pulled into the driveway, I could feel my heart beat out of my chest. I was excited, and then there's that- I was terrified. What if he thinks I am an idiot and ditches me in the middle of the evening? That would be a disaster.

Cold air brushed my cheek as I opened the window, playing with my locks as Will placed his hand on my thigh. I turned my gaze to him, and he focused on driving. A minute later, he turned the radio on as we moved into less crowded streets. Were there any less-crowded streets in Fordshire? None that I knew.

Elton John sang to us as we drove.

'Hold me closer, tiny dancer

Count the headlights on the highway,

Lay me down in sheets of linen,

You had a busy day today...' 

Will hummed with the radio. Seeing him enjoying myself was the biggest turn-on. I focused on his singing till his eyes drifted from the road and met mine.

"You never heard a man sing for you before, Mellon?" Will mocked me, and I found myself trembling against his touch. His eyes were a little wild, his hair tousled to a side as the wind brushed against his hair.

"Not a husband I know of," I said, and he chuckled.

Handsome. Hot. Hubby. Heaven. I was running out of more sassy 'H' words to describe him. I guess the 'B' word had to do for then- FYI, it's 'breathtaking' not 'bitch'.

"You need to ease up, Queen." He said in an almost whisper as his hand slipped beneath my dress, touching the bare of my thigh, and as if he had done it a million times, he pulled the garter string, and it stung when he let go of it.

"Ouch!" I said, jerking his hand off me.

"What was that for?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.

"Not letting me enjoy the boob show longer!" He said and chuckled.

"Pervert!" I said, and he pulled on the string again.

"I swear if you do that again, I will beat your ass up!" I said, glaring at him.

"I am very much looking forward to that tonight, Queen!" He said and winked. The audacity of this jerk!

I half expected him to do that again when he pulled the car to the side. I didn't notice, but we had stopped right outside Central Park. I prepared myself for the worst as I unbuckled the seat-belt. The faint memory of last time, when he unfastened the seat-belt for me, played in my head, and I sighed.

"Wait," Will said, pulling my arm, and I looked at him puzzled. I didn't expect him to back out this soon. I didn't say a word! Or maybe that's the problem. Am I supposed to tell him he is sexy as hell all the damn time?

"I need to open the door for you!" He said and winked, moving out. The door clunk open, and he extended his hand as I stepped out.

The wide, metal gate of Central Park and its metal lions stared at us as we walked hand in hand inside. I've got this. Just breathe. One, two, three.

All will be okay.

~

"So why'd you want to come to Central Park?" He asked, and I shifted in my heels. I put them on, thinking it would be easy for me to kiss him when I wanted to, but they weren't great for walking in a park.

"I had a few questions," I said, and Will held my hand tightly, giving it a gentle squeeze as my other hand held onto the chain of the swings as I sat on one.